ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rate My Basket

Evo 5 RS
I don't rate sandybridge, but that's because it's a downgrade - triple channel bandwidth ftw

Btw, the one thing I would say is I've had some fairly bad experiences with OCZ power supplies.

Corsair 1200WAX would do you just fine

Other than that it's a sweet spec.

Good option on the 580 SLi over the 590..dual gpu cards suck melon balls

Evo 5 RS
Oh, let me just double check mate but I'm fairly sure that socket doesn't support 3 channel like x58 does

(you are definitely doing the right thing buying sandybridge over 1336 now though, as it's an end of life product now)

Edit: Yep, dual channel

Last edited:
No you're right. Z68 is dual channel. f**k. How did I let that slip under the radar. Seems like I can still use the memory but only 8GB (enough).

Gareth. I probably will go full WC but for the moment I feel this will be fine.

Evo 5 RS
Without looking I'm pretty sure you can get 4Gb module kits. 8 is more than enough though...

I'm bored at the moment and looking to do something mental before Christmas ;)

EVGA-Works-On-Dual-Socket-Intel-X79-Motherboard-2.jpg

Yeah it seems that I can use 2 of the 3 sticks in dual channel and have 8GB. Phew. No need to panic. Easy upgrade to 16GB soon then :D TBH I'm a doughnut. I could see that Sandybridge boards only had 4 DIMMs but it didn't register. Reeetard! Oh well, I'm sure the performance is going to be shattering.

LOL at that mobo. I've been out of the loop for ages. I thought Skulltrail never caught on? Is that something new?

Yeah it seems that I can use 2 of the 3 sticks in dual channel and have 8GB. Phew. No need to panic. Easy upgrade to 16GB soon then :D TBH I'm a doughnut. I could see that Sandybridge boards only had 4 DIMMs but it didn't register. Reeetard! Oh well, I'm sure the performance is going to be shattering.

LOL at that mobo. I've been out of the loop for ages. I thought Skulltrail never caught on? Is that something new?

Evo 5 RS
That picture is of an X58 SR-2, it caught on alright but the board still goes for around 400 notes on the bay

I'm talking about Socket 2011 X79 though, thinking of building something over the top again (when available)

of course that is based on the assumption I'll have the cash to do it then lol

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm pretty happy with mine still, I've just had it in bits upgrading the hot swap drives bays and sorting out LEDs behind the reservoir but it's pretty much got everything in I could possibly do now.

Roy, I understand, when I started out I was looking at the H70 as it looks like a good option, the cost of going for a full WC solution can easily mount up (i think I must of spent £200 in fittings alone) but the end result is worth it.

SR-2 is a beast, but I'd rather spend the money on a more complete overall system inc WC.

Out of interest what's wrong with Dual GPU over Single?

Evo 5 RS
I've just never been a fan of dual GPU cards, as Roy says they're clocked down and rely heavily on SLi to perform at their best. 580GTX in SLi is a good 10% faster (although more expensive)

They've come a long way since 5 years ago but it's just the general consensus that if a core architecture gets to the point of being plastered in a PCB sandwich that it's going to be an end of life piece of s**t lol.

new core > look we've revised it, runs cooler. > look we clocked it down some more and now it's got two in one - and so on
E.g 480 > 580 > 590

Yeah. My logic behind getting the H70 is that it's easy to install. I'd rather tackle bespoke WC as a single element of the system at a later date. TBH though these 32nm processors overclock like motherfuckers anyway. I'm not sure it will even need anything better to get near 5Ghz. Time will tell.

Balls out no compromise systems are awesome. Been there many times. Bought the very best stuff available. It's great fun but really, it's a massive waste of cash, because by the time any games need than much power, you're about 3 chipsets out of date anyway. Crysis was the swerve ball. I'm confident that this rig (even with shitty dual channel lol) will be extremely powerful for what I use it for, which is games, not benchmarking. The Crysis trilogy on this machine is gonna be sweeeeeet! I also plan to add one of Samsung's 27" 9 series 2011 3D monitors very soon, but for now I'll stick to my pauper 26" T260 :eek:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
You won't need it for overclocking, for me it's more about the look and quietness of it, I don't have any interest in overclocking/benchmarking. But tbh, the real benchmarkers don't do WC, they go a few steps further.

Evo 5 RS
I need to upgrade my 3D monitor :( Ghosts like f**k

Oh, and yeah. MASSIVE waste of cash.. I'll probably lose interest closer to the time anyway lol. I'm a bit ADHD like that.

The second paragraph wasn't in the context of water cooling. I was talking about building a system like this, as opposed to a balls-out dual extreme processor and quad 590SLI ect. etc. :D

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
They are good cases, a lot of £££ but too big for even me. 800D is perfect for me, although it could do with more room on the rear side to allow for the cabling / tubing.

Evo 5 RS
Oh yeah.. lol Bit too far that maybe

You get the idea though, mountains of space...gay pun

Tri rad and 2x 1200W PSU's on the other side powering 4x 580s? ....that's M3 money

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The EK Ram blocks are much nicer, well EK blocks tend to be. I may switch my Corsair setup out for one as it's the only thing in mine that makes noise tbh.

bild121.jpg

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
there isn't really any need for a system to have more than 1 580 but we do it anyway . . .

s**t case. That one doesn't have the all black interior ;)

Monster machine TBH. Just not necessary for games. After my initial dual channel panic and thoughts of "is Z68 actually rubbish?" I've been doing some more research and I'm now actually really happy that it was the best choice for me. Ergo not four thousand pounds. Thanks for the heads up on dual channel BTW! I am disappointed in myself for not knowing this before I purchased :eek:

EDIT: Total build cost was about £2200 BTW. That will be closer to three bags by the time I get Samsung's newest £D monitor. Not too bad considering I've not done a full case-up rebuild for more than 4 years. Still pushin' a 780i mobo with a QX9650 and DDR2 lol.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
It's easily done. Not to mention confusing.. Nothing wrong with Z68, 1366 is old hat now..if you've already got an x58 rig fair enough.. but I wouldn't buy one now!

Yeah and the key thing to remember is that, right now, there aren't really any games that actually NEED this kinda power, so it's a bit of a balancing act really between sticking to your enthusiast guns, and not spending too many thousands on gear that will be old and cheap by the time any games need it.

EDIT again: I think what swayed it for me was that a few of the later Crysis 2 levels have seen a drop to maybe 30-40fps, and this is NOT acceptable to me.

Thanks for the link Gareth. I shall peruse with interest! :approve:

On my old heap now. Taking a backup of my Steam games in preparation for tomorrow's new build. I hope it restores properly, as I do NOT want to lose my Crysis 2 save progress!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
hmm, have to be careful as I don't think all saved games go under steam, my Dirt 3 one IIRC goes under the documents folder in the user directory.

Thanks mate I'll check later. I'm only worried about Crysis 2 and F.E.A.R. 2 save games really. Not worried about the game content as I can download them all again at any time. Steam is awesome!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Just checked, definitely worth checking your c:\Users\[username]\my documents (assuming your on W7) folder as there is plenty of Steam saves in there on mine.