ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rate My Basket

Lian Li PC-V2120X Aluminium Full Tower Case - All Black
Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 High Performance 1200W Power Supply
Asus Rampage III Extreme Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 970 3.20GHz (Gulftown)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 590 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit
Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey
Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (920-000978)
Pioneer BDR-206DBK 12x BluRay RW / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black (OEM)
Antec Kúhler H2O 620 CPU Watercooler

Obviously there's a few items here open to change. Not too sure on the PSU, or the all-in-one CPU cooler. Overall though, what's your thoughts on this setup? Any glaring errors?

Geeks and genuine enthusiasts opinions only please. I'm not interested if BillyBob can get 90% of the performance from his Xbox (he can't) for £200, so with respect, if you're about to post something along those lines, then you're a c**t :)

f**k me!

If you can afford to go for it, then why not.

I didn't know you could get solid state H/Ds.

Just realised I'm a c**t lol.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
LOL buy it.

Extreme fishing ftw. watched it a few days ago. on some tiny island. was beast as per normal.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Windows 95 or XP ?

You missed off the physics processing unit (SRS).

Oh, and the flux-capacitor.

I think you've spent enough to get a free garlic bread too.

I wouldn't go with the i7 or GTX.

K series Sandybridge would be my choice, much better chip. Would also go with 2 6950s instead of the 290.

*Edit*

I would change most of it actually....

Thats just a showing off how much money you got set up, much better spec could be had. X58 is a pretty old chipset now as well. Z68 came out 2 days ago, but then again the penis enlarging 970 will not fit it.

I saw Crysis running vMax on a similar system last night (but with GTX580 SLI) on that monitor (2560x1440) at what must have been a million FPS. I need it in my life.

I wouldn't go with the i7 or GTX.

K series Sandybridge would be my choice, much better chip. Would also go with 2 6950s instead of the 290.

290? 590 dude. Essentially 580 SLI but with slightly underclocked processors.

I have eyed up Sandybridge but as far as I can tell X58 is the gamers choice?

Yea i did mean to put 590.

Sandybridge is better, and far superior in everyway shape and form. It's awesome.

The new Z68 allow the Sandybridge to use it's GPU processor, and can discretely switch between GPU/CPU to save power. Z68 also has SSD cacheing!

OK cheers. I'll do a bit more research on the CPU/mobo then.

EDIT: LOL at your edit. Money isn't the question. Of course someone else may spend less (or more). I appreciate the input though as I've been out of the loop for a while.

Last edited:
Money probably isn't the question, i did jump the gun a little ;)

It's just a more money than sense build! There will be more and more Z68 boards coming out over the next few days, keep an eye on MSI - they have been top quality as of late.

You could even wait a few more weeks and go for an Ivy Bridge build.

Money vs. sense isn't the question either. It's not like I've specced an extreme edition CPU for the sake of it. I will check out the P67 and Z68 in more detail.

Im sure there are better monitors out there than the Dell Ultrasharp surely?

Especially for the price.

Not sure. Possibly. It's an amazing monitor though. Do you have a reason for saying this, or is the Dell name putting you off?

Dell Ultrasharps are as good as they come Jon.

Allows PCs to be more efficient. The Z68 boards switch between the 2 to save power and i 'think' it is also used to actually increase the performance of the main GPU.

I'm actually just curious. I've used a Ultrasharp for many years (still have it infact), I just remember prices being very very high, when there are others out there will close response times and resolutions. Saying this i've never tried a Ultrasharp on 1200p

Most monitors are the same res/response times now. But you also get different panel types, TN etc etc. Dell just deliver one of the best quality pictures. Or use too, i havn't looked into it for a while.

It's personal preference though, and how you like your things to look. I myself went for the Samsung BX2450 LCD, i think it's awesome (Well, it is...).

I currently have a Samsung T260 26". It's nice, but the Dell poons it hard. 2560x1440 FTW.

FYI it's the same panel used in the 27" iMac.

Res doesn't bother me, 1080p is more than enough and didn't fancy a 27" monitor due to it's size. Would be way to big for me.

Indeed, mines more a space issue than anything. If i was living in Bath all the time i could, but moving between Bath and Plymouth i need something i can transport without too much of an issue.

The desk i got here only just has room for my 2 bookshelf speakers and my monitor :(

It's so good looking though!

The Khuler is after market, it's a closed loop water cooler with a small rad - however it is only on par with high end air coolers!

No room for 27"! :(

photo1l.jpg

As penis enlarging has been mentioned, let's just cut to the chase here shall we.

Just how awesome is pron viewing going to be in this baby?

Will it be 3D and is that monitor stain resistant?

I currently have a Samsung T260 26". It's nice, but the Dell poons it hard. 2560x1440 FTW.

FYI it's the same panel used in the 27" iMac.

You trumped me, I'm rolling the Sammy T240HD, 24". Max im getting on a GTX260 is 1920x1200. It's so hard to keep up to date with the PC tech these days, they bring out new chips every few months and It's so hard to keep a good system at the top of its game within spening £££ on it every few months.

That iMac Panel is something special as well.

Don't agree TBH. The need to stay up to date is self imposed by most enthusiasts. My current system is now essentially from 2007, and it still performs amazingly in every game available. For me, it's a just acase of when I do upgrade, I do it properly.

Changed the CPU to an i7 2600K Sandybridge, but undecided on P67, or waiting for some decent Z68 boards.

Darren, this would be TheBeast4.