ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rate My Basket

If you go P67 buy either MSI/Gigabyte. The one i purchased was Asus, and for me it was 100% perfect and ran a stable 4.6Ghz no problem. However some people still had problems, most we ironed out with the B3 revision.

Personally i would wait a week or so and see what happens with the Z68 stuff, it appears asus/gigabyte have just soldered the different chipset into the P67 boards :mad: whereas MSI are giving it a good overhaul.

Hmmm I'm still not convinced by this P67 Z68 malarky. I can't help feeling that X58 is the gamers choice, especially if considering multiple monitors and multiple cards and mental resolutions. No?

Yeah I know what you're saying, and TBH PC hardware is so far advanced now that no games are pushing even the medium-end stuff too hard, from what I can make out at least. Then again I want to replay Crysis anyway so f**k it pmsl.

No rush to decide, but it's always good to thrash it all out in threads like this, because sometimes it's too easy to get your heart set on something that isn't necessarily the best option.

Updated basket.

Lian Li PC-V2120X Aluminium Full Tower Case - All Black
Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 High Performance 1200W Power Supply
Asus P8P67 DELUXE Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 590 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit
Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey
Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (920-000978)
Pioneer BDR-206DBK 12x BluRay RW / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black (OEM)
Antec Kúhler H2O 620 CPU Watercooler

Yeah it's more of an alternative to high-end air coolers from what I can gather. The problem with air coolers is that they are big and heavy. I have been known to transport my PC around in the car a fair bit, and the last thing I need is a giant hunk of HSF swinging about on the mobo. I fancy a dabble into water cooling but can't be arsed with a full setup, so this solution seems ideal. From what I'm reading, I should easily be able to get the 2600K running close to 5Ghz with this cooler. Maybe...

Plus the case will last for decades, and has ample space inside for water cooling upgrades in the future. It's MASSIVE.

Evo 8 MR
Looks a good setup, can't really advise any better as I'm more into AMD/ATI stuff now.

I like the look of that monitor, thats a beast of a resolution it supports.

Mate. The monitor is sensational. I saw Crysis maxed out on it yesterday and it had a very fluid, almost CRT/plasma level of motion to it. Brilliant panel. Fantastic colour too. Plus it's a great design. Solid as f**k.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's more of an alternative to high-end air coolers from what I can gather. The problem with air coolers is that they are big and heavy. I have been known to transport my PC around in the car a fair bit, and the last thing I need is a giant hunk of HSF swinging about on the mobo. I fancy a dabble into water cooling but can't be arsed with a full setup, so this solution seems ideal. From what I'm reading, I should easily be able to get the 2600K running close to 5Ghz with this cooler. Maybe...

Plus the case will survive WW3, along with the cockroaches and has ample space inside for water cooling upgrades in the future. It's MASSIVE.

Corrected for accuracy.... ;)

D.

BG 182FF
Roy this looks like a beast of a set up, im not sure id spend all this , as you can get 90% of the performance for half the price then spend the other half in a years time and get a much faster computer, altough im sure you know this and will be getting a new pc in 6 months anyway :rasp:

now for some constructive feedback and to help you spend more money, i think the ram might be a weak point (not by much tho)

id get 2 of these

If I only wanted 12 GB and use all the slots up at once. These are a faster clock speed and faster timings.

Monaro VXR
Any reason you are going for the Crucial drive?

It is a bit old now... OCZ Vertex 3 is what you want to be honest.

If you really want to stick to an all in one cooler as well. Get yourself a Corsair H70, better than the antec.

Lovely basket, wish i could afford all that, last build was 700ish, id love to go to the 3 or 4k+ mark

Are you just using the SSD alone or adding some other sata drives as well?

When will SSD drives be seriously affordable? id love a ultra silent build.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've got 2 Lian Li cases

I will be buried with them (one of them is a one off prototype I blagged from the factory via a press source, years ago :p)

Fiesta ST
I've just upgraded my PC although I did it on a budget.

I went with the i5 2500k and the msi p67 b3 board. I don't see any need for a z68 for gaming.

It's overclocked too 4.6ghz currently running crossfire.

I got the dell ultrasharp 23" ips panel and it's amazing! Love it.

Indeed the i5 is a lovely chip, have one running at 4.6Ghz with out a sweat. No need to push it any harder, it doesn't need it.

I would change the Asus mobo munson just to be on the safe side!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know what you're saying, and TBH PC hardware is so far advanced now that no games are pushing even the medium-end stuff too hard, from what I can make out at least. Then again I want to replay Crysis anyway so f**k it pmsl.

No rush to decide, but it's always good to thrash it all out in threads like this, because sometimes it's too easy to get your heart set on something that isn't necessarily the best option.

Got to agree. :(

Got Crysis 2 running at 1920x1200 with the eye candy on and it dips under the V-Sync limit only when a lot is going on. More or less impossible to notice during the game, mind. And that's with Crossfire disabled. :(

D.

Thanks for the input homos. Taken onboard. I thought the Crucial SSD was meant to be very good?

That's the only drive it will have. It's purely for games. Nothing else.

Monaro VXR
As it is only a gaming machine probably fine to run it all from only the one drive.

If it was an everyday machine the limited write cycles can be an issue with SSD drives. Admittedly they still last a while, but people loading in loads of small files (temp internet etc) they soon add up to thousands of files very quickly and each one using up write cycles. I know they recommend shifting temporary internet files and the swap file off the SSD if you can.

Last minute check for opinions or mistakes I may have made.

Lian Li PC-V2120X, Black Aluminum Full Tower
OCZ ZX Series 1250W '80 Plus Gold Certified' Modular Power Supply
Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600K
Corsair Hydro H70 High-Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (may get into proper water cooling later)
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel
Gainward GeForce GTX 580 "GOOD Edition" x2
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-3 Solid State Hard Drive
Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluRay ROM

Obviously everyone can offer alternatives so I'm not really looking for "this PSU is better than that PSU". More interested in any very obvious mistakes. You know what it's like when you get those last-minute checkout nerves :eek:

Beast! Worth upgrading though if current games won't tax it? If it were me I'd wait for crysis 2 DX11 or other taxing games, then see if any better hardware is around at the time.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Geek scale just blew up Roy!

Don't ever have a go at my warm horse sperm wax ever again.

KTNXBI!

Beast! Worth upgrading though if current games won't tax it? If it were me I'd wait for crysis 2 DX11 or other taxing games, then see if any better hardware is around at the time.

Yeah I know what you mean. I had decided to wait but f**k it. I have also decided I'm going to replay through all three Crysis games, and the originals need some extra horsepower. Then there's the knowledge that this system will last quite a few years given the current trend for tarted up console ports.

Geek scale just blew up Roy!

Don't ever have a go at my warm horse sperm wax ever again.

KTNXBI!

Yes because a gaming PC and paint lotions are the same thing.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A really nice and balanced spec there, mate. Fair play.

If you're using it purely as a gaming machine the i7 is overkill as you can get equivalent real-world gaming performance from cheaper CPU's... but from the quality components you are using throughout I'd stick with it as the difference of a couple hundred notes in price is negligible. Tidy! :D

Yeah I know but I couldn't not get the best ;)

Thanks for the endorsement. All ordered now anyway.

EDIT: A big tossup was deciding between twin 580 or a single 590. Single 590 is slightly cheaper than 2x580, but it's underclocked, and dumps some heat into the case. Figured I may as well go for the full SLI performance for a little more cash. Twin 590 crossed my mind but I'm gaming at 1920x1200 so it would have been huge overkill, not to mention incredibly expensive. Even dk wouldn't spunk £1200 just on graphics lol.

EDIT2: Can I throw my GTX295 in there for physics processing? That would be awesome.

Last edited:
  LY 182
I don't know much about gaming PC's but that just sounds epic haha.

What was the total cost? Gotta respect somebody prepared to pay that much 4 some hardcore gamging.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know but I couldn't not get the best ;)

Thanks for the endorsement. All ordered now anyway.
Too right - and I'm a little bit jealous. :D

EDIT2: Can I throw my GTX295 in there for physics processing? That would be awesome.
I do believe this is an option... As I understand it, it might be more an issue of getting the right driver to allow it; what with some of the newer drivers apparently having issues when attempting to set up a configuration along these lines.

Last edited:
Ahh cool. I may try and get that working then. Mind you I don't think I'll be lacking power. I've seen a very similar setup recently running Crysis with stupidly maxed out everything, and it was silky smooth, rock solid, completely unbreakable 60fps everywhere, all the time. Quite awe inspiring to see. definitely gonna play through all the Crysis games again.

RE: cost. It was surprisingly cheap actually.

Not a 320d
Imagine the p**n youll be able to render with that.

14 Megafaps per second.

Seems very overkill. I try upgrade once every 3 years, and I never get the top end stuff (maybe the GPU), always get stuff in mind of overclocking. Went with i5 750 because even though the i7 920 was £20 more, I needed the stupid DDR3 ram, which was tons more.

Watercooler looks good, I have the H50 (I think its called this) and it does a good job, got a push pull setup running.

Im jelly.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Too right - and I'm a little bit jealous. :D

I do believe this is an option... As I understand it, it might be more an issue of getting the right driver to allow it; what with some of the newer drivers apparently having issues when attempting to set up a configuration along these lines.

Royston - that should be (and could be) a distinct possibility. However, I was led to believe that it was down to the game itself and how flexible it's config was that easily allowed seperate Physx processing? I've only ever dabbled with an old AGEIA Physx card - so the whole area may have moved on significantly forward since then.

However, the only game I can recall that allowed you to specifically pick a secondary GFX card for Physx duties was Batman : Arkham Asylum. Apparently, you could even get it running with an ATi and nVidia Physx combo...

D.