ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New system - i7 poverty build advice

Tesla MP3 2021
Yep still have the Noctua, all boxed up and ready to go. You want it???

£35 inc p&p and its yours :)

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Adam - Noctua received and fitted, many thanks!!!!!

CPU back to stock speed (2.66)

Stock cooler (each of the 4 cores)
45 deg idle
77 deg full load with prime95

Noctua cooler (each of the 4 cores)
33 deg idle
59 deg full load with prime95

Plenty of room to play with now :)

Tesla MP3 2021
When it was at 4GHz...

Idle - 27-29
Stress - 56-60

I have actually re-fitted my rad and turned it round and bought some new fans (I now have 3x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x120x38mm pushing on the rad :). I have also cut off about 50cm of my loop lengh so I expect my temps to be abit lower.

My system hasnt been on for nearly a week now :( I was going to post on here but I have had to RMA my HDD it just corrupted up to fook lol. It started of as a boot issue (BSOD - unmountable boot volume)

It went back to Scan and they said straight away it was fooked. It failed SMART stright away.

Just waiting for my new one to be sent out :)

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
I had some dodgy RAM from scan that gave me all sorts of problems. They were very good at replacing though.

Once yours is running at its full potential you wont have to upgrade until about 2020!!
lol

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
What kind of performance gain are those over say a single velociraptor ? or even 3 x velociraptors in a raid ?

Tesla MP3 2021
There is quite abit over a single drive. There are a few good test around the net.

I havent got any to hand at present, try google.

Tesla MP3 2021
Right I have stuck with the Raptor only due to the hasle of getting a refund and then buying a SSD as a seperate order. I dont to be without my system for another 10 days lol.

The raptor is going to be goof enough, for now ;)...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What kind of performance gain are those over say a single velociraptor ? or even 3 x velociraptors in a raid ?

Purely depends on the file sizes Moz, and the applications you'll be using. I assume when you mention 3 drives, that you're looking at RAID5? RAID5 is good 'all rounder' - providing decent read and write speeds with the benefit of reduncancy if one of the disks fails.

Obviously, RAID0 would be better for performance, but you'll loose redundancy, whereas RAID1 flips that argument around.

RAID2 would be a very good one for performance, but I don't think any hardware supports that? Not that I've seen anyway.

For pure speed - get two 'Raptors, striped in RAID0. :approve:

D.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just get a Drobo and use that as a networked storage device. Then you won't lose anything but the OS and odds and sods if your hard disk does 100% fail.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
lol Yeah.

I wouldn't bother for home stuff, but office stuff it's nice to know unless 2 HDDs fail at once then you're never going to lose any data on site.

No hassle with setting up raid on every computer or using servers then. Depends on your needs I guess.