ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle and burning smell

200 Gordini
When higher in the revs i hear a rattle, it's coming from the engine bay but maybe more to the left? is this normal?

Also i've noticed a burning smell a few times in the past 2 days of ownership.

I've searched this and it seems like the alternator is going but thats more or a whining noise.

Suggestions please??

Titanium 182
rattle is possibly heat shield fallen off and sitting on your exhaust. Burning smell could be a number of things.

Titanium 182
It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay though.

What other known rattles/vibrations are there i should check for?

I assume your hearing it when your driving the car? it might just sound like your engine bay I would check the shield either way. As for other rattles I don't actually own a RS so would be guessing but engine cover ? :S if its a vibration check tracking, erm. For the burning smell check nothings dripping onto your manifold/exhaust.

Thats about as usefull as I am though mate sorry :rasp:

Maybe you did what I did and left a socket in your engine bay ? that rattled :eek:

200 Gordini
I assume your hearing it when your driving the car? it might just sound like your engine bay I would check the shield either way. As for other rattles I don't actually own a RS so would be guessing but engine cover ? :S if its a vibration check tracking, erm. For the burning smell check nothings dripping onto your manifold/exhaust.

Thats about as usefull as I am though mate sorry :rasp:

Maybe you did what I did and left a socket in your engine bay ? that rattled :eek:

Yeah its when im driving, you don't hear it when im cruising but when i put my foot down theres a rattle, nothing when im stationary and reving the engine though :S. Im going to have a good check when i get home.

I think a trip to the garage just to make sure is in order

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Just dive in there yourself and have a good look around make sure that things are not loose and there is nothing leaking anywhere. Make sure it has enough oil and coolant too. If you cant find it then take it to the garage.:)

PH1 172 Sport
I would think that its either the heatshield rattling on the mainfold or as said the engine cover. Smeel could be anything. Just make sure the aux belt looks ok and there no major oil leaks etc

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique
ive got this problem, when i set off and get into second gear hear a rattle only fora bout 2 seconds, sounds like its coming from left hand side of engine bay too, also when braking get a grindin noise when im nearly at a stop just wondering if they could be linked ?

200 Gordini
hmm i found a broken bracket but i secured this and the rattle i'm hearing is still there. Heat shield is as tight as a ducks arse and all else is secure. surely its not supposed to be doing it :S

The burning smell is still happening after a bit of a thrashing, i expect it to be hot but not actually burning... its in the engine bay but where shall i check?