ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rattle/clonk..

clio 03 1.6 16v
hi guys, just a quick question really..
last night i floored it in first to about 5rpm then went into second (not hard) but when i came off the accelerator for about 1 second it came out of second n started making like a small rattle noise like something ticking everytime it turns.. cant explain it.. when im in first driving and go into second it crunches, only in that gear and when im on the motorway doing about 50mph i can sorta feel something thru the gearbox and kinda hear that noise aswell, then wen im doing about 5mph comming to a graduall stop it makes like a clunk noise every like 2 seconds or sumthin n u can feel it.
i got someone out to have a look at it and they sid its the rear engine mount? i personnally dont understand how that could be the problem, but any one any ideas?
thanks

ValverInBits
sounds a bit like engine mounts and gearbox synchro on second gear.

Rear engine mount a good place to start, worn one would cause it to slip out of gear. It's called an engine stabiliser or "dog bone" mount, cheap as chips normally.

The crunch from 1st to second is a classic syncho problem. It should be worse when you change 3rd to 2nd. It basically means you need a new gearbox because someone has abused this one. however, It wont cause any problems until you completely wear out the gear.

clio 03 1.6 16v
it only hapend lst nite.. grr
i think the actual gearbox is covered with arnolds autocare thing.. better be!!
so the engine mount sounds like the problem? maybe its no engaging the gear or sumthin..?
the cars got 68k mls..
i cant seem to get anywhere who have that part...

clio 03 1.6 16v
arnold clark just quoted me £8.40 plus VAT for the part.. lmao thought it would be about £50! well i'll get the changed then see how the gear thing goes i guess.??

is that for the engine mount? i think i need either that or a new gearbox box....getting a clunking noise when moving off in 1st. any mechanics?!

clio 03 1.6 16v
thats for the rear engine mount (dog bone) ive been told by the AA that as im accelerating the engine moves back and as i dip the clutch it moves forward and because the mount is worn wen the engine moves forward it pulles the gear out and that can cause the crunching, and in my case tht seams to be wats happenin...

wait for the labour charge lol. wouldnt be taking my car to arnold anyways! my car has done less than 20k though didnt think id be needing a new one so soon.:(

edit: renault refused to fix mine cos the car had been lowered. how could lowering affect this?!?!

clio 03 1.6 16v
im not gettin arnold to fix it lol, u mad?
its an easy job to do ur self mate, and i dont see how lowering it could effect it unless the ride stiffness caused the damage..

clio 03 1.6 16v
hi guys just letting you know i took my car to arnolds yesterday, got a mazda3 as a courtesy car, got a call today and the problem is an internal gear box fault, im gettin a recoditioned gearbox fitted free because of my autocare thing. thanks for your help guys.