ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle from cambelt area

I've got a disconcerting rattle from around the cambelt area, sounds like it's around where the dephaser is. It's not your usual worn out dephaser noise as I've had that in the past, this sounds like something is loose. The noise isn't apparent while the engine is idling but as soon as you rev the engine the noise appears. Can hear it rattling while driving with the driver's window down as well. Engine is an F4R.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm going to remove the Aux Belt tomorrow and start the car, if the noise has gone I'll know the issue is with the auxbelt or one of the things it drives.

The waterpump has crossed my mind tbh. Did you have any other visible signs of it failing? i.e was it wet around the pump area?

Nope no other signs at all just noise.

Here is a video of the noise once removed so you can get the idea of how noisy it was when fitted.

[video=youtube_share;X4LfE4UssSw]http://youtu.be/X4LfE4UssSw[/video]

Last edited:

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
F*ck me that's what the noise is in mine!!
I've had a metallic rattle that increases with revs for a while now.

I'll add water pump to list of things that need doing.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
F*ck me that's what the noise is in mine!!
I've had a metallic rattle that increases with revs for a while now.

I'll add water pump to list of things that need doing.

Te old s**t box has /had that rattle ( not the DCI lol ) metal impeller pumps only!! Plastic ones don't last long from experience

I've replaced the water pump but the rattling noise is still there. I ran the car without the auxbelt on and the noise isn't there so it must be either the alternator of the PAS pump that's the culprit.

Taken a video which I'll post once it's uploaded. The noise in the engine bay this time. It's a bit strange, it sounds like when you put a stick in a rotating bicycle wheel and run it across the spokes as it turns lol

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Weird as f**k.

Only other thing i can think of would be exhaust manifold gasket. they make a ticking noice when they crack

It's definitely something being driven off the Aux belt. If I remove the belt and run the car that weird rattling noise disappears. It'll just have be done via process of elimination, I've got a spare PAS pump so I'll do that next, if that doesn't solve the problem I'll have to change the alternator

Well it ain`t gonna be that then....lol

Lol. Aye, like I've mentioned earlier in the thread, if I run with car without the aux belt on the noise isn't there so it's definitely something that's being driven by the auxbelt. I've replaced everything other than the alternator so that's what I'll have to try next.

Well double check it. Just as its new doesn't mean it's fine. You can check the alt by getting an old belt and wrapping it around it and pulling the belt out like a yoyo, this spins the alt upto almost idle speeds.

Will do and I'll try that with the alternator as well.

As for the water pump, when I removed the old one and shook it I could hear something inside it rattling, this is what made me think the pump was the culprit. The new pump did appear to be fine though, span round with no obscure noises.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Will do and I'll try that with the alternator as well.

As for the water pump, when I removed the old one and shook it I could hear something inside it rattling, this is what made me think the pump was the culprit. The new pump did appear to be fine though, span round with no obscure noises.

check it's not fouling something now it's fitted. I've seen that a few times. Genuine pump used?