ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattles in 182

MY04 Scooby STi
The car is only couple of months old and the interior trim is starting to rattle. Its seems to dash, where the dials are and the passenger side door trim. Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop the rattles as they are driving me up the wall

If it really is only a couple of months old, aren't rattles still covered under the warranty? or it that just for the first month?

BMW M3
Hi mate, I think we can safely assume that most of the 172/182 owners cars rattle; just depends were and how to stop it. Ive got rattles from the bit were the dash touches the window, the plastic bit under the gear stick and somewhere in the passenger footwell. Drives me nuts too... i just give a pull and thud here and there and it goes away for a few minutes... what you could do is try getting it fixed under warrenty, but they might laugh as all renaults seem to come with "Rattles as standard"

BMW M3
RobertCL said:
If it really is only a couple of months old, aren't rattles still covered under the warranty? or it that just for the first month?

didnt know about the month warrenty.... i noticed a rattle the day i drove it from the dealership. And was considering going in... to late now being 13 months old. This is... once they fix one rattle, another one will develop cause they've been moving things about, so would end up never being out of the garage... i'd give it a go while the warranty is still valid mate...

BMW 120i Sport
I fixed my passenger footwell rattle, there is a wiring loom bound in "crinkley" tape that rubs against the kick panel in the footwell and it sounds like a contant rattle.

I put a bit of foam in there and it did the trick.

Justin182 said:
didnt know about the month warrenty.... i noticed a rattle the day i drove it from the dealership. And was considering going in... to late now being 13 months old. This is... once they fix one rattle, another one will develop cause they've been moving things about, so would end up never being out of the garage... i'd give it a go while the warranty is still valid mate...

You are right of course, they would just remove one and cause another! I never had chance to take mine in for rattle fix under warranty as it was too old by the time I bought it - and I can't honestly imagine walking in and saying "durr, there is a kind of rattle when I drive - where from? - urrrr, well, kind of all around me really" :clown:

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio
Mine rattles, sounds like its coming from the above the dial pod, I tried to fix it, but without any luck. So now i just turn the radio up, cures all rattle and sqeaks.

I get rattles at the front but I just give it a slap and it usually shuts up.

My boot rattles which is more annoying because I cant slap that while I'm driving. I've tried everything to fix it but I cant. I think its the panel below where the boot lid closes but the big silver torque screws are done up uber tight so cant get a proper look.

Silver 182 F/F
If i travell without anyone it the passenger seat,the seat belts constantly bangs against the side,so i have to drive everywhere with the seat belt fastened up.

A major rattle Ive noticed in my 182 was that when the vent on the drivers side was open it would rattle and as soon as I closed it it stops.....

Rob.

Mini Cooper S sport
Antz182 said:
Mine rattles, sounds like its coming from the above the dial pod, I tried to fix it, but without any luck. So now i just turn the radio up, cures all rattle and sqeaks.

Same here!! (Well, except I didn't try to fix it) :D

My parcel shelf squeaks really loudy as well, but I've learnt to ignore it hehe.

Mine rattles from above the centre console, behind the side panel on the rear drivers side, front drivers side vent. It's been in today, and the dealer has "fixed" them all by refitting some of the panels and putting foam behind others. I drove out of the dealership, and within 100 yards I could tell they were all still rattling.

It's been in on three previous occasions for other things (ABS/ESP/SERV lights and engine mount), and every time I've mentioned the rattles. On every previous occasion they've said they couldn't hear any. This time they've just said they've fixed them! Hmmm.... I'd put my CD player on really loud to drown out the rattles, but the CD in there won't eject, and they'll only send it off for repair...... They won't replace it... I don't really relish the thought of having no CD/Radio for several weeks.

Fantastic!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I have nearly all the same rattles as you have all mentioned they are:

- Just above where the dials are. This has only started happening in the last few weeks.
- By the glovebox - I tried the foam behind the tape where the wires are but made no difference.
- The passenger seat belt keep hitting the plastic side panel when I don't have a passenger.
- And the most worrying of all - a knocking sound on tickover after I have been driving it for a while.
- Oh yeah, one more - when going over a speed bump at low speed the front springs make an awful noise!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
My mk1 has a really loud annoying rattle coming from what seems to be somewhere round the near headrest. could be either plastic 3/4 trim or the magnetic seatbelt holder thing. Does my swede in!

BMW M3
Munday said:
I have nearly all the same rattles as you have all mentioned they are:

- Just above where the dials are. This has only started happening in the last few weeks.
- By the glovebox - I tried the foam behind the tape where the wires are but made no difference.
- The passenger seat belt keep hitting the plastic side panel when I don't have a passenger.
- And the most worrying of all - a knocking sound on tickover after I have been driving it for a while.
- Oh yeah, one more - when going over a speed bump at low speed the front springs make an awful noise!

Mate.... thats identical to mine. I put foam in the foot well (around the relay box if thats what it is) and under the gearstick surround which supresses it but not totally. I had a squeaking noise when i turn slowly and went over a bump; renault fixed it under warrenty... strut or something. And i too have that ticking noise when stationary. Only happens when car is fully warmed up and take about 1min to kick in. When i give it some revs it goes away... took it to renault and gave them exact details of what to do to get the noise and suprise surprise, they couldnt hear anything. Still happens.... heard a few other people metion it but have no idea what it is.

Mine had the squeaking when going over a bump as well... It was fixed yesterday - it was the engine mount. It also caused a knocking sound when I accelerated in 1st/2nd and then suddenly let go of the accelerator.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Right, I think I am going to ring Renault and get that looked at!
Thank guys!

Whilst on the subject of annoying sounds... does anyone get a whistling sound coming from the drivers door when going about 40mph? It is definately caused by airflow, i can just tell... but only happens about 35-45mph.

Yeah had that one on my old 182, its the drivers side wing mirror. U can test this by lowerin ya window and placing your finger over the gap where the mirror meets the car. U can fix it by pulling the mirror forward slightly, just so it doesn't snap back into place.

Mini Cooper S sport
Munday said:

My springs rattle going round corners if I take them at a reasonable speed.

Regarding my earlier comment on the engine mount.... It was in on Mon/Tue and the engine mount was "fixed". Actually the knocking when backing off the accelerator seems to be sorted, but the squeak when driving off my drive still seems to be there! So maybe the squeak isn't the engine mount!

It's a real shame Renault have managed to build such a fantastic car, but with so many minor (but very irritating) faults!