ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raw or Refined

One of the reasons I like the williams valver is because of the sound when the pedal is to the metal and it makes me think that I dont want to get a refined car because I wouldnt have the excitement.

Not sure what the cup is like for refinement.

Just wondered what everybody else thinks about the issue?

It depends what you mean by refined. Over a set of switchbacks or lumpy B-road, my Williams is the most refined car Ive ever driven in the sense that it conquers them with so little effort. In terms of "normal" driving, its a different case.

Even as a totally standard car, I dont think my Williams is particularly refined in the conventional sense. I know its obviously a different setup to a Williams-converted 16V like yours, but the standard damping on the Willy is rock soild. There may not be much induction/exhaust noise compared to when I use an induction kit, but even using the standard airbox and exhaust my Willy is still the loudest and least soundproofed car I know of bar Caterhams and TVRs.

The car rattles a little, theres some gear whine from the Willys hardcore transmission and the only luxury is a vintage tape player.

Refined? No. Able? You bet! :D

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I love the rawness of my williams...... except when Im doing 100+ miles on the motorway. Which doesnt happen often thankfully Im more often on fast B roads/ twisty A roads where the willy is in its element.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Phil, I own a cup, but never drove a Clio Mk1 or a Williams, so I wouldnt know how to compare it either favourably or otherwise. I love the cup, as it does without creature comforts like Climate control, ABS and traction control, etc., but it is still a nice car to drive and own, and it more than holds its head up against other "hot" hatches (Saxo/Pug, etc.,)

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

Quote: Originally posted by MartinS on 26 May 2004

I love the rawness of my williams...... except when Im doing 100+ miles on the motorway. Which doesnt happen often thankfully Im more often on fast B roads/ twisty A roads where the willy is in its element.
and why is this???? why dont u like doing that speed in the williams???

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

lol no i was trying to make it sound as why he didnt like doing 100+ is it like what i think that the car screams out for another gear and u feel like ur punishing the thing???

Clio 197

Over here, you can spend a fair bit of time without going below 100. The Willy is not that great cruising the Autobahn at all. Buzzy as all hell and it sort of hurts to see the VW diesels just motor past! The oil temp tends to creep up as well.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by FATBOY on 26 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by MartinS on 26 May 2004

and why is this???? why dont u like doing that speed in the williams???
100+ miles on the motorway, not 100+mph on the motorway! Long journeys in my car are not the most comfortable mostly due to the lack of interior, bucket seats, filter/de-cat/exhaust and hard suspension which makes for a less than serene drive at a steady 80-90mph.

182, GTR, C63

Dumb f*cks lol sorry but read wot he put again "Im doing 100+ miles on the motorway" he means he does hundreds of miles not 100mph. Dont mean to be rude but you got the wrong end of the stick. Never drove a williams but ive got a cup and yes it will cruise comfortably at 100mph not that you wanted to know but its 1 hell of a little car and the standard airbox still has a nice induction noise (id love to get a proper IC). Round corners its very precise with steering adjustments but the car feels a little edgy but thats wot makes it fun. I nearly spun yesterday when a car swapped lanes infront of me when i came off a roundabout as i had to brake while hammering the car round a corner. Braking while cornering isnt a good idea but i had no choice and it was my fault for trying to enjoy a roundabout i suppose but the point i want to make is that the back end went and i caught the f*cker without anytime to prepare for wot was going to happen. Plenty of feedback and a confidence inspiring car. Had i have been in my 1.4 sri corsa (previous car) i would probably be in hospital now!!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by FATBOY on 26 May 2004

lol no i was trying to make it sound as why he didnt like doing 100+ is it like what i think that the car screams out for another gear and u feel like ur punishing the thing???
Oh and i have no problem doing 100 on the motorway it only feels like Im punishing the car when it gets close to the limiter in 5th at 140+. All conducted on my private runway obviously. hehe