ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Re-starting engine after smashed sump

182T
I shattered my sump on a rock on a recent rally via a big dent in the sump guard which touched the sump itself. I pulled over and turned off within 200meters of the rock after seeing loads of smoke from oil on the exhaust. The engine was running, it didn't cut out, it was me that turned it off immediately on pulling over.

20151007_172633.jpg Half of the piece missing here was still in place so you can see the size of the available escape routes for the oil. For those 200 meters I would have been at full throttle for around half the time - the rest was pulling away on gravel/dirt so unable to use full throttle (there was a time control about 10 meters after the rock) and then slowing down from around 45/50 to 0.

I've put the replacement sump on with new gasket etc so my question is this:

Before I restart the engine, considering there would have been less oil (perhaps none) for the pick up pipe to draw up and pump round should I prime the engine with oil in some way? If this is advisable, whats the best way to go about it and should I use engine flush first? There is a new filter going on with the new oil and the pick up pipe was undamaged.

Educated opinions please.. thanks.

Wind the engine over for 5/10 seconds with the crank sensor unplugged. This will prime it as much as you need. Ultimately, if there's damage it will have already been done.

No. Still up on stands and haven't torqued up yet.

Ah, I didn't realise the engine was out,assumed you did the sump in the car. as above really,pull the caps off and have a look. (Worth doing ARP's at the same time) but also as its on the stand, engine upside down, fill the oil pump with oil and turn the engine manually, this will prime it