ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Real reason for the 182

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 19 March 2004

********being sensible now*****

Why is there so much in fighting with Clio sport owners? I think it started when the Cup came along and all the jealous 172 owners, just a thought. Did this happen when the mrk 2 172 replaced the mrk 1 172?
Interesting theory and yes it did seem to kick off when the Cup was launched...

Not so much agro when the mk2 was launched as it was slightly slower than the mk1 so no feathers to ruffle!

Theyre ALL great cars though, most of the parts are the same and we should stop fighting amongst ourselves like school kids and join together against our "real" rivals!

GW Clio 200

I think the real reason for the release of the 182 is to cause as much trouble on this forum as possible with people smirking behind the figures of their stats.

Well Im currently a Cup owner and love it, I wanted something "I"consider better than my Cup, as it has all the toys of the 172 and the punch of the Cup, I chose the 182

All three are superb value for money giving performance that can only be matched by motors £20,000 plus. We are the drivers of the best Hot Hatch around by far. The Peugeot GTI 180 is lovely to look at and admire, but when they encounter one of the three Clios they are the ones left admiring, admiring our behinds :). The CTR has has an ugly interior and is overpriced. The MCS is driven by 40 somethings vainly to hold on to their youth. The Mini may well be the best made chasis but the interior looks....well......cheap. For anywhere near the performance of our cars, you need a works which will ruin your bank managers day.

Chill out and realise by owning one of the three your in with the in crowd :D no matter what!!!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 19 March 2004

And who cares if the power to weight ratio is higher on the cup, the 182 still got a better time 0-60 of 6.3 secs, suppose you are going to argue that are you! They are an even match now.

Dave that wasnt your car or you driving, I would bet 100£ that out of 10 1/4 mile runs I could beat you 9 out of 10 runs in my standard Cup.:D

Why is there so much in fighting with Clio sport owners? I think it started when the Cup came along and all the jealous 172 owners, just a thought. Did this happen when the mrk 2 172 replaced the mrk 1 172?
I would say 30% Jealous 172 owners and 50% big headed Cup owners. I can see why people on here have become sensitive to the Cup vs 172 debate. There are a few 172 owners who are jealous and a few Cup owners who like thrusting it down thier throats!! Hence the constant bickering!!

I wasnt on here when the Cup came out, but I can imagine the attitudes of some of the 172 owners would have been similar to that of the Cup owners since the arrival of the 182........

The 182 is a very nice car but (and correct me if im wrong;)) it aint a ltd edition group N rally car and used prices will reflect this!

I am not a jealous cup owner though and can prove this by my weekly attendance at cups anonymous where I have to stand up and say my names brazo, I am a cup owner and the 182 is a tad faster!

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 19 March 2004

I am not a jealous cup owner though and can prove this by my weekly attendance at cups anonymous where I have to stand up and say my names brazo, I am a cup owner and the 182 is a tad faster!
LMFAO............... who cares !!!

Its unreal when we are talking a tenth of a second, although as a 182 owner to be I can honestly say hahahahaha screw you we are the fastest clios around.................( lol ....will someone bite)

dk

911 GTS Cab

I am sorry I wrote that reply now, I wasnt trying to continue an argument but was quite annoyed by the stupid comments lastman was making such as

Funny how 182 owners b**ch about the cup all the time - no we dont we always end up defending our cars!

I guess there just pissed off they didnt manage to pick one up in the first place. - as i mentioned, that was wrong as there is one for sale by me so i could have gone for it if i had wanted and RALLYPUG has even bought one today to back my answer up - to which lastman called me a liar, for what reason?

182 Better, with those wheels, do me a favour !!! This is his opinion but he seems to like to think that he is right, its a matter of opinion nothing else.

Cup is still 3 BHP up on power to weight ratio - the only reason i mentioned the 0-60 time of the 182 was to rubbish this theory! They are the same performance aqnd would always come down to the driver!

No as I have already said on this thread, I like both the 172 cup and the 182, it was my personal preference to choose the 182, nothing about which was best and I cant ever remember sl*gging off the cup except in jest to silly comments.

This arguing is going to continue and in my opinion get worse as the number of 182 owners increase and also with Cup owners switching to them. All it takes is a few idiots to make stupid comments for it all to kick off, and maybe we should learn to ignore these people and not give them the satisfaction of replying?

I cant really say anymore than that but hopefully this will clear up my feelings on the matter of which is the best out of two equally fast and fantastic cars.

David

when i had my cup a 172 boy came up and said straight away, yours aint faster!! i said f**king hell! where did that come from! hes always been like that tho as our cars all sameish... me, 106xsi him, ax gt

me,106gti him,saxovts

me,clio cup him,172

me,tegR him, goodbye mate!! ill stop in a bit so you can still play!!! ha ha

oooooooooooo can feel the comments coming now. dan

GW Clio 200

Dave182

Lets just all go to santa pod, get out of ou cars and beat the sh*t out of each other, the last man standing will have the deciding Vote.

I reckon the Cup drivers will turn up first having to prove to every driver on the road that there car is actually the fastest road car ever built bar none. Then the 182s will drive in get out of there climate controlled cockpit fresh and ready, making a kosh out of this months Autocar, with every blow to the head he gives he will chant "0 to 60 in 6 . 3" . Followed by the 172 drivers, these will stand out a mile, there the ones who have now been put in 3rd place in the battle of the stats and have something to say about it grrrrr. But we will be greatly out numbered when the hordes 17-20 year olds who cant afford insurance costs surrounded by the elderly who turn up in there 1.2 Dynamiques and 1.5 dcis respectively and well all get our asses kicked.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 19 March 2004

Lets just all go to santa pod, get out of ou cars and beat the sh*t out of each other, the last man standing will have the deciding Vote.
LOL

Funny you should mention that... ;)

On a completely different note - what is it about dragstrips? Whats the point?!!!

Come on, bite you buggers!!!

LOL

Huw

The good thing about the 182 times is it shows what a Cup is also capable of with a good start and also backs up ppls claims of doing flat 6.0 with modded/stripped Cups (de-cat,ecu,exhaust,stripped). A modded Cup may possibly dip below 6! As the are doing 0-98/99 in 14.1/2 secs vs 0-100 in 17 secs for the standard 182.

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I could rely on you, Rich!!!! Good man!

How was it in the rain out of interest? What tyres are you running?

As I have said on a previous thread there are so any variables with figuring a car the cup has a better pwr/weight ratio and I assume the same transmission? Unless reno spent money on a better one?

With the above in mind it is all down to tyre choice. I understand the 182 had wider tyres which may have helped?

Again I am not dissing either car as both great! But perhaps we should just rely on manufacture figures rather than autocars optomistic readings?

I am still of the opinion that cup is 17.7 to the ton (EVO) rather than autocars 16,9!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 19 March 2004

How was it in the rain out of interest? What tyres are you running?
Had standard Contis on at the time, which were fairly well worn to start with so bascially had f00k all traction, although lateral grip was still pretty good.

When it dried out a bit I got to push it and I was very pleased... :D

As per one of the previous comments - Cup owners had a lot of people telling them that their car was inferior and a poor mans 172. That point of view is all very well - but you cant expect them to sit back and agree!!!

Especially when they know the real reason (and suspect the 172 owners also know the real reason) ;) is because the Cup is a blinding bit of kit far superior in terms of handling and with a bit better performance than the 172. (It actually felt the more quality car due to its tautness)

The 182 seems to have closed the gap a bit, but even so Id still prefer a no compromise (more fun) driver focussed car in the form of a lighter weight 182 Cup. Id probably even pay the same amount for it!!! But thats just my opinion as its what I want from a car, and I fully appreciate there will be other views. :D

There is no way in this world id swap to a 182 from a Cup its just not worth my money.

As im fairly ;) sure I am considered to be part of the high horse Cup owners club I feel strongly that I shouldnt be called a t**ser for expressing my views, and any continued negative comments will be treated with the contempt they deserve - and put down to cliqueness. ( Spelt correctly - forgive me, last time I wrote it was the first time ive had to do so)

And my ego is far from too big I can assure you.

Thats not evidence of a big ego - thats just me dispaying my disregard for people who direct negative comments at others. I dont do that to people, so I dont expect it done to me. :mad: Face to face im sure things would be very different.

Its ok expressing opinions on cars (Although some people dont think so) - but why do people always get personal and involve the driver? Even piss taking and cheeky banter is ok, as long as its not offensive (surely?)

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 19 March 2004

And who cares if the power to weight ratio is higher on the cup, the 182 still got a better time 0-60 of 6.3 secs, suppose you are going to argue that are you! They are an even match now.

Dave that wasnt your car or you driving, I would bet 100£ that out of 10 1/4 mile runs I could beat you 9 out of 10 runs in my standard Cup.:D

I would say 30% Jealous 172 owners and 50% big headed Cup owners. I can see why people on here have become sensitive to the Cup vs 172 debate. There are a few 172 owners who are jealous and a few Cup owners who like thrusting it down thier throats!! Hence the constant bickering!!

I wasnt on here when the Cup came out, but I can imagine the attitudes of some of the 172 owners would have been similar to that of the Cup owners since the arrival of the 182........
Dont be so f**king stupid! They are all (all three cars) much of a muchness. Unless you are a professional driver you will never tell the difference! I think there are too many people on here who think they are better than they are.

I started this and so I will finish it. The 182 is a marketing ploy. The Cup is a (not so) limited edition. The 172 has 170bhp. They are all awesome cars. This infighting and bickering is childish and crass.

For f**ks sake children!

Jon1978

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 19 March 2004

I would say stop being so f**king stupid! The 182 is a marketing ploy. The Cup is a (not so) limited edition. The 172 is the 21C Williams.

They are all awesome cars. You will never notice the difference between any of them if you are not a professional driver.

Grow up and stop the infighting and bickering. This is supposed to be a Clio club, not a kiddies playground where "mine is better than yours, so ner ne ner ne ner ner!"

This is the only forum out of Vauxhalls, Fords and Peugeots (Ive been around a bit, LOL) where theres infighting.

As a new member Im a bit surprised, and possibly, disappointed.

Dont lose yourself members by doing this! You should be comparing notes and helping each other out rather than bitching!

Huw

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 21 March 2004

This is the only forum out of Vauxhalls, Fords and Peugeots (Ive been around a bit, LOL) where theres infighting.
No its not...

Remember all the GTi-6 vs Rallye arguments on the 306 forum! :oops:

Same attitude towards the Rallye as there is with the Cup.

I get the impression people get a little hotter under the collar on this site, Rich. It was mainly friendly banter on the 306 forum.

People also knew where to draw the line!

Huw

tbh i dont know why u are all bickering over these cars they are all brilliant cars, i would love to own one but cant afford them, u could always swap with my mk1 vtr;), doubt u will be bothered then lol its slow it rattles, it creaks, it breaks down all the time, and theres millions of them lol

think urselfs lucky look at all the cars there is like saxos etc

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 21 March 2004

I get the impression people get a little hotter under the collar on this site, Rich. It was mainly friendly banter on the 306 forum.

People also knew where to draw the line!
Well a couple of people on there got a bit "heated" in there discussion...

Luckily it kinda sorted itself out though!

VaVa

@ Jon1978....

Are you calling me stupid?!!? I didnt make one single reference to performance. In fact, I didnt mention anything about the cars themselves, merely the attitudes of the respective owners. Is it any real wonder that we have infighting when people are called "f**king stupid" for posting their honest opinion?? I totally agree with you that there is a certain playground element to this forum sometimes and things get out of hand. If people took time to actually think about what they are posting, maybe the infighting would stop!!??

There is no easy answer. You cannot change peoples attitudes, it is a choice they make for themselves. But one thing Im sure of, calling them f**king stupid isnt going to help.........

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 21 March 2004

@ Jon1978....

Are you calling me stupid?!!? I didnt make one single reference to performance. In fact, I didnt mention anything about the cars themselves, merely the attitudes of the respective owners. Is it any real wonder that we have infighting when people are called "f**king stupid" for posting their honest opinion?? I totally agree with you that there is a certain playground element to this forum sometimes and things get out of hand. If people took time to actually think about what they are posting, maybe the infighting would stop!!??

There is no easy answer. You cannot change peoples attitudes, it is a choice they make for themselves. But one thing Im sure of, calling them f**king stupid isnt going to help.........
No mate, I am not calling you stupid.... it was a support to your comments in fact... because I love this club; I love my car; and I want this bickering to stop.

I apologise if the wording of my post was harsh and possibly ill-considered, but I was quite pissed when I wrote it last night! Hence there being two of the same - one from me and one from me on Biclios name (was at his house).

Final thing - note to self - ... dont read stuff on a forum, and then start writing replies, when pissed!

VaVa

No worries mate. Im pissed now, so I guess that makes us even!! Looks like Im with you on this one. If I wanted peoples opinions on a comparison ( or whatever) between the 182, 172 and Cup, I would post it on another forum becuase on here I know it will end up in mindless tit for tat bickering. Its a sad state of affairs really........

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

If you want to stop bickering on the forum stop creating threads such as this one, it isnt constructive and serves no purpose!

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_P1 on 22 March 2004

If you want to stop bickering on the forum stop creating threads such as this one, it isnt constructive and serves no purpose!

In a way you are right... but that shouldnt be the case. A thread such as this one should be open to constructive discussion, as it was a question aimed at marketing and sales people. Come on, were all grown ups now!