ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Realistic used 197 prices

Lee

BMW M2C
Realistically you are looking at £11.5k to £12k for something on an 07 plate. There are a handul at lower prices, but not from main dealers.

Some of the cheaper cars will most likely be imports where they only paid around £13k new.

There aren't many Cups around second hand yet, and R27s are really holding their value, god knows why, it's nothing special, unlike the Trophy.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tbh, it is about right really considering you can get new ones for sub 13k.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This is a testimony to used Renault prices.

Even if i had a comfortable lifestyle with a high disposable income i doubt i would buy a new reno imo!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This is a testimony to used Renault prices.

Even if i had a comfortable lifestyle with a high disposable income i doubt i would buy a new reno imo!

Is that based on book price though, or what most of us paid for them?

This is going for more than I paid for mine brand new, and the only difference is I didn't go for the speedlines: http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...l=CLIO&min_pr=12000&max_pr=14000&max_mileage=

Im just speaking in general mate, as with all car manufacturers soon as a car rolls off the fore court it losses effectivley £1000.

Im always of the impression that you should let someone else take the hit for it and buy them a few years later. For example my Phase 1 cost £15,995 in 2001, i bought it 7 years later for £3,850.

Over 7 years it lost over £12,000, thats utter lunacy!

Lee

BMW M2C
There's nothing like driving a brand new car off the forecourt though. My last 5 have been brand new.

It's all down to how much you pay for them new though. I traded my 182 in at 12 months old with 18k on the clock and lost £1k. Now that's cheap motoring.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
^absolutley! but even still, when you break it down its a whole lot of money! This all of course is in my opinion and i do not intend to insult anyone who buys a new car!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah for sure, it is mad buying a new car as you do gnerally lose so much.

but that feeling of something brand new, only you sat in the dirivng seat. love it. i've been the victim of 3 new cars lol

probably get a 4th in about a year or so's time. sucka for punishment.

i will be geting a lunar R27R ... ;)

Lee

BMW M2C
Recently myself and my boss worked out how much money we've both spent on cars since March 2003.

In that time I've had a new 172, new 182, new Trophy and my Cup. He's had a New 307 TDi. In total since March 2003 I've lost somewhere in the region of £8k in depreciation and now own a car worth around £12k. Buying new at the right price and selling at the right time allows you to keep running a new car for a decent fair amount of money. If it weren't for the fact I loved the Trophy so much I could have sold that within 12 months and made a profit, as it stands I lost about £5k on it, but covered 42k enjoyable miles.

He's now got a 307 worth next to nothing, which he's had to spend over £4k on for gearbox, turbo, and various other major items.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yeah knowing that no one owned it before you must be a nice feeling, i bought a pre-registered civic once, 5,400 on the clock, 13k new and i got it for 10k, thats the closet ive been to a new car!

Golf R
R27's have taken a drop.... £12.5k seems to be about the going rate for any colour except liquid yellow... there's a few on RS for sale and noticed they are both similar mileage and spec for the same price - however both are black

Mustang, S13, AX GT
to be fair though, I lost exactly £1k in a year of buying a used car. I bought a brand new car as I wanted to be the only person to drive it, and this way I got to pick exactly the car I wanted, with the exact options I wanted. theres nothing quite like driving a brand new car off a forecourt for the 1st, its a nice feeling and one I worked damn hard for and still am doing. The initial 'hit' I took with the depreciation is more than made up by the 3 year warranty, 3 year no MOT and satisfaction of knowing its been looked after throughout its life :) Also the fact that dealers are doing good deals makes it not so bad, as has been said some used cars are priced more than you may have paid for a brand spanker

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm not sure I'll ever get a new car, just not sure if I could take that hit!? Would be s**t... but I certainly see the appeal. Working for Renault, I can get between 17-23% off but still decided against it in the end.

Maybe one day, who knows!

to be fair though, I lost exactly £1k in a year of buying a used car. I bought a brand new car as I wanted to be the only person to drive it, and this way I got to pick exactly the car I wanted, with the exact options I wanted. theres nothing quite like driving a brand new car off a forecourt for the 1st, its a nice feeling and one I worked damn hard for and still am doing. The initial 'hit' I took with the depreciation is more than made up by the 3 year warranty, 3 year no MOT and satisfaction of knowing its been looked after throughout its life :) Also the fact that dealers are doing good deals makes it not so bad, as has been said some used cars are priced more than you may have paid for a brand spanker

thats why i bought new

i think ive been well an turely done over with my stealer offered me no discounts dispite our best efforts

my car has lost nearly half its value in a year as much as i love a new car if i change mine ive learnt to get the best deal i can :dapprove:

Last edited: