ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

reanult 5 gt turbo into a phase 2 1.2 clio

clio 200
hi i am looking for any advice pics or anything i could use in the aid of doing an engine swap,i have already purchased a gt turbo off my friend whos running a 300bhp 5 the enignes got print outs showing 200 so should be fun.going to run a 1.8 16v mk1 clio gearbox as the mounts are the same as my current ones,i just need advice on eingine mounts as the 5s mounts are sat underneath and clio mounts are on the side,does anyone do a conversion subframe or would welding the mounts up be easier?thanks for any advice

R5 GTT
300bhp
:lolup:

R u sure matey there are not many 5's that are actually doing that in fact I can think of only 2 - Gianni Santini & Stuart clarke and both these cars have pretty much a rebuild engine every time they are used (pod cars) they run alot of boost. And the knowledge and parts, testing to get things to where they are beyond any tuner's advices and the years of trial and error testing and I mean years.

Anyway with ref to your conversion just use the GTT subframe therefore you can used the GTT mounts, you could prob get away with using the 16v gearbox suspended mount and the GTT mount at the same time.

s1 williams/106gti
would it not be easier to use an f7/4r as a conversion ? more reliable . my ol gtt was forever going wrong . push rod carb engine vs modern lump ?

JAMES 5TT noticed you have a zafira gsi . dont mean to hi-jack the thread but just quickly ........ you had any problems ??? im thinking of swapping my scenic that i use for work for a gsi

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
when I did the conversion on my old 1.8 16v clio the R5 mounts bolted straight to the subframe, no drilling required. Good old renault like to use the same parts across as many models as pos therefore the clio subframe was copied from clio to clio and already had the relevent holes in place.

I prefered the 1.4 turbo pushrod engine to the 1.8 16v engine to be fair, easier to tune, easier to work on, easier to fix and alot lighter than the 16v lump improving handing no end. The engines can be unreliable if they are not looked after, just make sure you have good oil pressure, no leaky hoses and dont crank the boost up to much and you will be fine

R5 GTT
would it not be easier to use an f7/4r as a conversion ? more reliable . my ol gtt was forever going wrong . push rod carb engine vs modern lump ?

JAMES 5TT noticed you have a zafira gsi . dont mean to hi-jack the thread but just quickly ........ you had any problems ??? im thinking of swapping my scenic that i use for work for a gsi

I would defo swap matey, it is pretty good fun to drive 200bhp ish as standard. No real problems just the coilpacks don't seem to last long I am on my 2nd set in 2 years and I buy the Genuine parts from Vauxhall no copies. Pretty quick for a big car aswell which surprises other cars.

R5 GTT
when I did the conversion on my old 1.8 16v clio the R5 mounts bolted straight to the subframe, no drilling required. Good old renault like to use the same parts across as many models as pos therefore the clio subframe was copied from clio to clio and already had the relevent holes in place.

I prefered the 1.4 turbo pushrod engine to the 1.8 16v engine to be fair, easier to tune, easier to work on, easier to fix and alot lighter than the 16v lump improving handing no end. The engines can be unreliable if they are not looked after, just make sure you have good oil pressure, no leaky hoses and dont crank the boost up to much and you will be fine

Agree the little 1.4 C1j lump is cheap to maintain and upgrade to an extent if well serviced and if boost is increased over standad the carb must be fettled properly to fuel for the boost otherwise you will be looking @ h/g down to your own stupid fault of not getting it setup. I love my little 5 crazy little car.