ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear ARB or Koni shocks?

Had my Clio Trophy on track a few times now and wanting a more playful rear end and have read the way to do that is stiffing and rear.

What way is best, Whiteline rear ARB or Koni rear shocks? How will each effect the handling?

Front shocks have just been refurbished by BG (now wishing I had them de-pinned!) and rears are new, also new genuine wishbones fitted!

Cheers,
Mike

225 Cup & Williams
Whiteline ARB mate. Had Koni shocks and the whitline on my trophy and found the rear to be really twitchy.

Ph1 172 (titanium)
The arb is an awesome upgrade. Whiteline is adjustable so you can play around with the stiffness settings as you like.

225 Cup & Williams
They do because both are adjustable. Personally I found standard shocks with just the arb to be a better setup.

Ok, going to go for the ARB seeing at the rear shocks are brand new.

Next question, where do I find one....

Audi A5
Isn't the stiffer setting surpose to be really twitchy for most people? Also what hole (no pun) is for which setting?

WRX
Stiffer is nearer the bar itself i.e. nearer the front of the car. If you put in on the further ones there is obviously a bit more flex in the bar. Yes it can be twitchy but that keeps you alert ;)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
If you find the rear end to be twitchy with one of these fitted you must have the worst throttle control ever. If you're nice and smooth they're nothing but compliant, if you're mashing the accelerator like an on/off switch then ofcourse the weight transfer etc is going to come into play and make the back end pretty uncomfortable or more playful as some may see it.

225 Cup & Williams
If you find the rear end to be twitchy with one of these fitted you must have the worst throttle control ever. If you're nice and smooth they're nothing but compliant, if you're mashing the accelerator like an on/off switch then ofcourse the weight transfer etc is going to come into play and make the back end pretty uncomfortable or more playful as some may see it.

Nah I don't mash the throttle on & off. I found it to twitchy for my liking.

WRX
Perhaps responsive rather than twitchy would be a better description. I think I know what Blackgold is saying but at times its difficult not to totally transfer the weight or under very heavy braking with a bit of a kink in the track then the rear can feel lively and connected and if you weren't expecting it, it can bite. Basically you get to feel the back end far more through the seat etc.

225 Cup & Williams
Yeah you could put it that way. Maybe I found it to be like that as I was so used to the standard shocks on the rear making the rear more predictable under load transfer etc.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm after an ARB too. Do they improve handling by much?

Clio 182
I've fitted Bilstein B14PSS coilovers and i'm still thinking about the ARB.
Will they improve handling in my case or would that be overkill.

(street use and 2-3 trackdays a year)

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I'm after an ARB too. Do they improve handling by much?

Loads IMO.

Alot of people talk about loose back ends etc and being more playful. I just find mine so more chuck-able and playful.

Worth the money as a peice of poss to fit.