ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear brakes hand handbrake problem help needed

Black Sheep
I took my Ph 2 172 2002 to a garage today to get the rear bearings replaced. When I went to pick the car up they said it had not been done cause I would need new discs as well as a new driver side calliper.

The reason for this being cause the pads are not contacting the disc and it is all corroded, mainly on the inside as I would have spotted this sooner. I have noticed the other side is not very good either.

My handbrake is hardly working and when I had the car jacked up the wheel on the drivers side would still spin even though it was on. The discs and pads and also the caliper in question where only replaced just over a year a go so I very much doubt a full replacement is needed.

It got through its MOT no problem In June but they also tryed to tighten up my handbrake as it was crap, and I think this could be the cause of the problem. I really dont want to buy a new calliper as it is basically new. I am never thrashing my car and doing heavy braking, otherwise I could accept that is the reason why it needs replaced ect.

Any help would be much appreciated. As the thought of spending more money on the brakes after shelling out £580 on a brake over hall 14 months ago really doesnt appeal to me in the slightest. I understand I am best just getting new discs and bearings combined but I dont think I should have to get a new calliper.

Thanks Stuart

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bearings come in the discs already. I wouldn't want to replace them separately I don't think

Do you think or know you have a bearing issue !?

I think Will. has had 3 sets of rear discs (replaced under warranty) in about as many months as they were over/under tightened IIRC.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
if you look at the price of genuine bearings, it's actually cheaper to get disks with bearings already fitted

Black Sheep
Thanks for your quick reply. I have a droning coming from the rear passenger side and I had an advisory/told to get it sorted next time at the Mot in June, so I am pritty sure it is a knackered bearing.

I am more puzzled as to why my rear breaks are basically not working anymore, and the handbrake is only working on the passenger side.

The front brakes are working fine. Its just the rears you can clearly see the rear pads are hardly making contact with the disc. Both the callipers are really new and this only seems to have happened after the handbrake was tightened.

275 Trophy
My handbrake is the same - I can easily move the car along the ground when trying to undo the wheels bolts with it applied, though I don't have new capilers, but have just had new discs, bearings and pads. The rear brakes don't do very much so the calipers tend to sieze. You sure your calipers are okay? You can get refurb kits for them if you fancy having a go yourself.

Black Sheep
I will try and dismantle them and copper grease them ect get the handbrake tightend ect before I even think about new calliper. I really like the car they are great fun ect but after 8 years of ownership of other clios I have finally had enough of the renault brand. On this car I have managed to have all the common faults. Heater resistor pack.....exaust banging due to totally crap hanger....... door check strap knackered. clicks every time I open and close.....total brake fail while approaching a round about day after I bought the car. Rear bearings knackered general rattles and creaks when driving, melted steering wheel thumb grips. I love the car but the renault company Is probaly one of the worst car companys in the buisness and I will never by another renault again in my life time. rant over even though they are great cars the company who makes them is an utter disgrace!

172 cup
Same happened to mine last week see thread
It was my sensor valve in the end, replaced it then went through mot

Black Sheep
Thanks for the info. How much did it cost you to get this sorted out in the end. I hope this could be the case cause all the discs and pads calipers are brand new. Is it the kind of job you can do yourself or best left to a garage. It's six weeks till my mechanic mate can sort it for me. But I will be willing to wait. Don't have any music as the fuse is blown. But this allows me to keep an ear on the bearing lol!!