ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Brakes - How Much Work Do They Do ?

BMW F21 125d
After changing my front brakes to Brembo HC and EBC Green's and getting a great improvement in braking performance I am tempted to upgrade the rear to at least EBC Green Stuff Pads.

The Q is how much load do the rear brakes take ? Can I swap the solid discs out without swapping the bearings/abs ring ?

According to a dealer i was at, it is almost nothing.
He said the only time you'll use them is when the handbrake is on.

Not sure how accurate that is but on that basis he said standard rear pads will last for ages.

Mk2 172
I was told nearer 90% to the front but that may have been bull sh*t. If thats not true then i can tell you that they do hardly anything!!!

My brake set up seems to work fine:

Front, brembo max discs with mintex 1144 fast road/race pads

Rear, K tec crossdrilled with EBC heavy duty kevlar (back only do 20% of the the work at the most)

Stainless steel braided hoses all round.

I would really recommend the set up too

FF-Cupped 182 '05
I always thought the front/rear brake balance was variable? In the wet there must be less braking on the back then in the dry..

Don't know how the system knows how to adjust the balance depending on roadconditions though..

Clio 172 ff
After 15 minutes of track time on a relatively slow and twisty track with quite a bit of braking, you could warm your hands on my front brakes from one foot away. Rear brakes you could touch without hurting yourself. so, I'd say they do precious little. (that was after the cool-down lap, of course).

RB 182
on cups they are pretty much none existant the needle barely moved when i applyed the brakes on my MOT

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i only got 20k out of my rear pads, disks still have at least another 5k on them.... on track i can get them very hot - i can't take the wheels off the front they are so hot but the rears are just too hot to touch the disks rather than the wheel.

using this very very very loose guide i'd say it was around a 70/30 split.

Black 182
I've just parted with £170 this morning for a set of rear discs :mad: , gonna put green stuff pads wid them on the back but i dont Know whether to put brembo HC plain discs on the front or brembo max grooved dics .
I will again use green stuff for the front but my question is has anybody had any experience of the brembo max grooved discs and do you think they are really needed ?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Rear brakes do f**k all! Fred advised me not to bother uprating them, and he would of stood to make cash out of me if I'd uprated.

Renault Sport Clio 172
My brake set up seems to work fine:

Front, brembo max discs with mintex 1144 fast road/race pads

Rear, K tec crossdrilled with EBC heavy duty kevlar (back only do 20% of the the work at the most)

Stainless steel braided hoses all round.

I would really recommend the set up too

that lot sounds expensive

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've got brembo max HC on the front of mine, seem to work alright. Grooves make the pedal vibrate abit though.

BMW F21 125d
£170 for rear discs :eek:. Mine still have plenty on them, stock are 10mm thick, and mine are at over 9mm so no worry yet, was just going to upgrade the pads to EBC Greens (£28 for rear set). Braided hoses is also an option at only £50 for all four but a mate of mine deemed these pointless as its unlikely the 172 will see track time....

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Trust me rears do virtually next to nothing - I did a full set of front pads at Bedford the other week and the rears probably didnt even move 1mm! LOL

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
These are the rear brake pads that were in my 172 Cup when it left the factory.

After 96,000 miles they were almost still usable...

100_3001.jpg

...and a new set for comparison...

100_2975-1.jpg

They do 10% of f*** all.

Focus ST
Bit of uneven wear there Mark!!!

(I realise you would have spotted it, hoping it might inspire you to give the problem/solution)....