ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Brakes Replacement - CLIO 3 1.5DCi 2011

Clio 3 1.5DCi 2011
Hello everyone,

I'm going to buy a rear brakes kit for my Clio 3 1.5 DCi from 2011.

151552d1597107759-kit-de-travoes-traseiros-recomendacao-travoes-de-tambor-clio-iii-1-5-dci-screen-shot-2020-08-11-2.02.08-am.jpg

There's a lot of different brands and I personally don't have experience with any of them since I never replaced the rear brakes parts.

This are the brands and prices:

Valeo 168€

Optimal 163€

Textar 130€

TRW SuperKit 128€

ATE 117€

Jurid 107€

NK 107€

Meyle 98€

Bosch 95€

TRW Brake Kit 90€

Ferodo Maxkit 90€

Brembo 80€

Febi 78€

Champion 77€

LPR 74€

What would you recommend?

I was surprised to see some really popular and recommended brands like Brembo, Ferodo and Febi to have some on the least expensive Kits for the rear brakes, any particular reason for that?

This Clio came with TRW front disc calipers from the Renault factory. I don't know if the rear brakes also use TRW parts of if it's just the front ones.

Thank you so much for your help

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I've asked myself the same question many times before and then just stuck brembos on my cars.

It might be worth dropping George @George@RTR_Parts a message, he knows his brakes and will be able to advise on options for a good price and with fast delivery.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Just go with a well known brand. Ferodo, pagid, ebc, Brembo etc. They will all do a good enough job. The brakes are heavily biased towards the front anyway so the rears don’t really do much. I would imagine the ones you’re changing out are original as they barely wear. Fronts do the most work so if you want a nice pad spend on the front.

Clio 3 1.5DCi 2011
The brakes are heavily biased towards the front anyway so the rears don’t really do much. I would imagine the ones you’re changing out are original as they barely wear. Fronts do the most work so if you want a nice pad spend on the front.

Thank you so much Dom_Capper, to be honest I don't have any brake problems is just that the car ha 160.000 kms at the moment and the rear brake pads were never changed, maybe the brakes are still good but I really couldnt find any consensual info of when you should replace or check the rear brakes in these cars. Some people say to change it at 100.000kms other will say to change only when you listen some noises, so I don't know. Maybe the brakes are fine and still hold 50.000km more

What do you think?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Discs usually have a minimum thickness. So you'll measure the thickness of the disc to decide if they're OK or not.

If I recall correctly the standard brembo rear discs on clio 182s are 8mm when new and need to be replaced when down to 7mm.

Other reasons to change might be (c)rusty edges, uneven wear, deep grooves from trapped stones etc.

As for pads, some pads start screeching when worn, some cars have wear sensors, depending on the brand/type of pads they'll be glued or pressed into metal 'hooks' in the backing plate which you don't want to press against your discs when pads are worn. If they're down to a couple of mm it can't hurt to replace them.

As said above, stick to a main brand and you can't really go wrong. You could experiment with cheaper options, but they can be more dusty, noisy etc and potentially less efficient.

And to be honest, if the originals have lasted 160k km, the savings between say brembos and the cheapest option is hardly worth it.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Are you confident jacking the car up, taking the wheels off and having a look? You will be able to see if the pads are worn down. Disks will usually last as long as a couple of sets of pads, so I'd imagine the only time you would need to change them would be if a rear wheel bearing goes. As MLB said, you can always check the thickness of the disks while you're there.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Ahh okay. Again the only real way to know if they need replacing is to have a look. The drum will probably go on forever. The shoes can ware, albeit very slowly. Jack it up, hub nut off, handbrake off and the drum should come off.