ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear cage or harness bar?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I'm debating whether to get a rear cage or a harness bar for my 172 Cup. I have bucket seats with harnesses at the moment but they're currently bolted to the floor which isn't ideal really. I was going to just get a rear cage, but that meant extra weight and then my insurance company said they wouldn't cover it so it put me off the idea, my insurance is dirt cheap and wanted to avoid moving it.

A harness bar seemed like a good compromise but doesn't seem as good as a cage in regard to angle, etc, and it doesn't look as good, also I don't know how safe they are, I've seen some bolt in ones and I spoke to a fabricator who said he could weld one between the suspension turrets.

Anyone got any opinions on this?

Cheers!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Obviously a harness bar doesn't provide the same protection as a cage, but how can they not be as good with regard to belt angle?
The belt angles are okay within a give window, im sure any quality harness bar will support the belts at the correct angel no different to a cage?

Or have i missed something?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Obviously a harness bar doesn't provide the same protection as a cage, but how can they not be as good with regard to belt angle?
The belt angles are okay within a give window, im sure any quality harness bar will support the belts at the correct angel no different to a cage?

Or have i missed something?
Agreed. Harness bar should be absolutely fine for that.

I've seen many fail though, the ones that go across the seat belt points