ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear dampers, cup rears on standard 182???

Clio 182 Trophy #175
Hello i need some advice? my rear passanger side damper needs replacing on my 182 due to leaking. I have been offered two rear cup dampers, will they be ok on my standard 182 or ruin the geometry? Any help appreicated also is it worth tackeling the swap over myself!

Clio 182 Trophy #175
Also to add its on eibach springs all round with an arb on the rear aswell

Clio 172 Merc ML55
They'll be fine, I run cup dampers with eibach pro springs on my 172 but to be fair my old rear shocks were leaking fluid everywhere by the time I got round to changing them.

As for the actual process of swapping them over its pretty simple really just a bolt at the bottom and a nut on top. As long as you're relatively confident and have the tools to hand then it's not the hardest job to do (read below to see why I say make sure you have the tools to hand)

You'll need a jack and some axle stands too, simply jack up the rear and sit on stands then use the jack to hold the rear axle at the correct height as when you take the bottom bolt out the axle will pivot away and the springs will drop out.

The top nut may well be semi seized to the shock and will cause the piston to spin around, as mine were being replaced I clamped some mole grips onto the piston to stop it from spinning around allowing me to undo the top nut, obviously though this only works if you are replacing the shocks as they will get chewed up in the process and be unusable afterwards.

Installing is the opposite of above although I would personally wait until the car is back on its wheels before tightening the top nut up fully as the weight of the car will hekp to stop everything spinning around.

Clio 182 Trophy #175
They'll be fine, I run cup dampers with eibach pro springs on my 172 but to be fair my old rear shocks were leaking fluid everywhere by the time I got round to changing them.

As for the actual process of swapping them over its pretty simple really just a bolt at the bottom and a nut on top. As long as you're relatively confident and have the tools to hand then it's not the hardest job to do (read below to see why I say make sure you have the tools to hand)

You'll need a jack and some axle stands too, simply jack up the rear and sit on stands then use the jack to hold the rear axle at the correct height as when you take the bottom bolt out the axle will pivot away and the springs will drop out.

The top nut may well be semi seized to the shock and will cause the piston to spin around, as mine were being replaced I clamped some mole grips onto the piston to stop it from spinning around allowing me to undo the top nut, obviously though this only works if you are replacing the shocks as they will get chewed up in the process and be unusable afterwards.

Installing is the opposite of above although I would personally wait until the car is back on its wheels before tightening the top nut up fully as the weight of the car will hekp to stop everything spinning around.
Thank you for the detailed response in this case im going to give it ago! Should have the cup rear dampers by the end of the week and installed by end of next weekend i will keep you posted and let you know how it goes!

Clio 182 Trophy #175
is this the right part number for the rear cup dampers on a 182? E8200681125 found a set on ebay brand new genuine for £85? any help appreicated

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Yeah that's the one, it would appear they've gone up in price then? Sure I only paid £33 each for a pair from Renault parts a few months ago

Clio 182 Trophy #175
Yeah that's the one, it would appear they've gone up in price then? Sure I only paid £33 each for a pair from Renault parts a few months ago
Thank you im going to ring renault today to see how much they are direct from dealer

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Ring renault parts direct, don't go main dealer. My earlier post should have said renault parts direct, it would appear my brain doesn't engage in the morning anymore

Clio 182 Trophy #175
Ring renault parts direct, don't go main dealer. My earlier post should have said renault parts direct, it would appear my brain doesn't engage in the morning anymore
Just gave them a call and the cup dampers are £44.88 each plus £4 postage at checkout, so £93.76 Total. Can get them for £85 delivered on ebay same part numbers.

Clio 182 Trophy #175
Got the dampers changed over today with great help form my pal alfie, was quite straight forward took an hour to do both. The old ones were not in a good state picture below. The new genuine cup dampers look good quality and were a straight fit.
image.jpeg