ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Disc change on 2003 172 Cup, advice please!

Hello All,

I've recently bought a Clio 172 Cup which is due some brake work soon. The rear discs are beginning to look quite scored so i'm thinking of changing them soon.

I know when changing the rear discs on some cars this involves the whole assembly coming off like a hub and new bearings being required when the new discs are fitted. Please can you tell me if this is the case on the 172 and whether it is a simple job for the home mechanic on his drive?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

AndyT23

172 ph1
It's a simple job.

The bearing is pressed into the disc, and held in with a circlip. You can buy the whole assy from Renault, which is the easiest thing to do.

Alternatively you can buy the parts individually, which saves a few quid, but you will have to re-use the old ABS rings (you won't though as you have a cup), and your bearings may not come with circlips and will need pressing in.

BMW M135i
GDI are the cheapest i've found especially if you become a club member and get the discount. Just had some at the weekend they were ~£130.

Lots of Alfas
If you buy cheap aftermarket discs you will have to put some new bearings in them. Its a lot of hassle to take your old bearings out or and it will probably damage them, its also a lot of hassle buying new bearings and fitting them. Renault sell a whole kit with discs, bearings and abs rings all assembled ready to slot on. Its sells for £175 at Renault but places like GDI and GSF sell it for about £140. You will also need 2 new nuts.
Disc pair 7701204901
nut 7703034258

Its a easy job, wheel off, centre cap off, nut off, caliper off, old disc off, new on then reverse.

You might aswell stick some new pads on while its all off.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
How many miles have you done?

I personally wouldn't worry about the scoring unless it's really severe/deep...the back brakes do nothing on the 172 Cup anyway, and new rear discs are unlikely to improve any aspect of your braking at all. The only thing you'd gain is new rear bearings which you might not need.

I'm on 92k miles now, and only replaced my rear discs at about 70k due to the bearing going on one side.

I'm still on the original rear pads...

The car's only done 21k so maybe i'm being a bit over sensitive about it. Thanks very much for all the advice everyone, very much appreciated. It's been a great welcome into the Clio world.