ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Discs and Pads

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Mine need replacing - is it worth replacing with anything other than standard discs and maybe some better pads? From what Ive read the rear brakes on the 182 do nothing at all?

Cheers

Clio182
I’ve just put new Renault pads on the back. I’ll let you know what I think. There’s no weight in the back of the car: it’s the fronts which do all the work. I intend to keep my rears standard and invest in decent fronts.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
As above, these cars have very little rear brake usage. Just stay with OEM (or whatever is cheapest tbh) as they contribute very little to the braking performance

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Renault OE discs have the proven wheel bearings fitted (the cheaper discs don't seem to last, so i stock/recommend the Renault for that reason) . Good quality oe pads if mostly road use , check the little discs washers are fitted/re-fitted behind the rear discs, they often get thrown away

check the calipers are working as they should be , a lot are starting to show their age if not been refurbed

I can supply brakes and various other parts, send me a PM if want a quote/any info (y)

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Mine need replacing - is it worth replacing with anything other than standard discs and maybe some better pads? From what Ive read the rear brakes on the 182 do nothing at all?

Cheers

They do - otherwise they wouldnt be there lol
Is your car a road car?
If yes its not massively beneficial running uprated pads unless you want to change the bite. If thats the case then just a mild front pad improvement should do the trick. For track and racing its more about brake bias and balance but they help a little bit and a little bit can be the difference you need to have a competitive advantage.

Brembo do good plain discs. These are the quietest option. I do Renault rear discs that have the ABS rings fitted so effortless to fit.
Godspeed are great for J-hook style discs.
Pads either go Brembo OEM or maybe Mintex M1144 or PBS fronts. I do a large range so you can get what you need

Clio Sport
I’ve just put new Renault pads on the back. I’ll let you know what I think. There’s no weight in the back of the car: it’s the fronts which do all the work. I intend to keep my rears standard and invest in decent fronts.
Where did you get the pads from? I have been trying some for awhile..Renault said they stopped making them ages ago..Motrio make the Renault pads now..

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Where did you get the pads from? I have been trying some for awhile..Renault said they stopped making them ages ago..Motrio make the Renault pads now..
I sell the Motrio parts as well. Its basically Renaults non-branded range.

Clio182
It’s actually the Motrio ones that I fitted. Sourced from Renault Parts Direct: very happy with them, both in terms of performance and also price.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
They do - otherwise they wouldnt be there lol
Is your car a road car?
If yes its not massively beneficial running uprated pads unless you want to change the bite. If thats the case then just a mild front pad improvement should do the trick. For track and racing its more about brake bias and balance but they help a little bit and a little bit can be the difference you need to have a competitive advantage.

Brembo do good plain discs. These are the quietest option. I do Renault rear discs that have the ABS rings fitted so effortless to fit.
Godspeed are great for J-hook style discs.
Pads either go Brembo OEM or maybe Mintex M1144 or PBS fronts. I do a large range so you can get what you need

Thanks Kev

In terms of the Godspeed discs is it realistically just a cosmetic thing? And do they have the abs rings etc...if they don't make much difference but are a similar price I'd go for j hooks just for the look

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
J Hook and other grooved styles basically increase the wear rate slightly of the pad. This means it sweeps the surface layer off quicker and if you over heat pads and glase them; then it can recover the pads to regain pedal feel.
On a road car they can add a little more noise to the braking but really are mostly cosmetic. The Godspeed have the abs rings and bearings.

Clio Sport
It’s actually the Motrio ones that I fitted. Sourced from Renault Parts Direct: very happy with them, both in terms of performance and also price.
The back brakes don't really do much..I wouldn't be happy using them in the front,..I bought all genuine pads and discs a while back and new Ktec brake lines..

Clio 172 Ph2
I purchased MTEC drilled and grooved discs for the front and back when I was refurbing my Clio this summer.

£50 for front discs £94 for rear discs with 44 tooth abs ring and bearings prefitted.
I’ve got ultimax front pads and brembo rear pads. Different pads due to availability locally.

for general road use I think they are great.
The ultimax pads are lower brake dust versions for less alloy mess.

Attachments

• 8B2AA488-77B9-4CD4-B3C5-BF14B064AFC3.jpeg
    8B2AA488-77B9-4CD4-B3C5-BF14B064AFC3.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 3C26107D-65A8-4E97-B513-D64ECE0BB199.jpeg
    3C26107D-65A8-4E97-B513-D64ECE0BB199.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 3EEF3A61-0199-45A1-979C-6A1692C44F85.jpeg
    3EEF3A61-0199-45A1-979C-6A1692C44F85.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 61