ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear End Feels Twitchy ??

silver 172 ff
Right its a mk2 ph2 172 i fitted fk coilovers about a month or so ago and they where great i had them set perfect, but ...

i went to france 2 weeks ago and had to raise it up while i was there as it was scraping the floor on the road where we were staying.

So at weekend i lowered it back down and now the back end feels so loose.
the front is tight and turns in and the back just feels lazy behind.

I had the back end out like i was in a rally stage last night round a big motorway roundabout not going silly speeds.

Im thinking maybee the back end is a little high for the front or the rear tyre pressures are a little high.

Anyone got any ideas on what it maybee?

First thing would be to check tyre pressures, 31psi front and 29psi rear iirc. Does sound like the rear tyre pressurres are too low, and the tyre moves around on the rim and makes handling s**t. Failing that have you played with the damper settings on the rear?? Set too hard or too soft and you'l get probs.

silver 172 ff
i cant adjust the dampner settings, it is strange it was great before i went and now i cant really feel any limit im just sliding all over

Aslong as the ride height is correct, theres not much a pro can set up. The problem is at the rear As said there not damping adjustable. So the problem is more likely tyre pressures, bold tyres etc. Make sure its got sensible camber on the front and that its had wheel alignment.

tiTTy & SV650
When the rear shocks burst (look for signs of oil on the struts) the back end becomes a great laugh bounces about and gets twitchy, I enjoyed it about 5 times in my 182.

silver 172 ff
rear shocks are new and in good condition.

the camber at the front is sensible its near enough standard.

so looks like tyre pressures

i had it set up when they where fitted and its getting tracking camber and toe in/out checked over on friday but i shall check the pressures before then see it that helps at all.

tiTTy & SV650
dont use that ghey tyre shine stuff do you? I used it once and the traction was seriously hampered initially and the back end slid a bit.