ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear ended, insurance?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Got hit on the near side rear bumper this morning scuffing it up and breaking the mounting where it meets the rear quarter as well as gouging bits of the bumper.
The guy who hit me was rear ended himself pushing him into me. Should I/can I push for a new rear bumper ? Or take cash if offered?

Never been involved in a crash before to know what the deal is. Obviously I've got all their details.

Has the driver who caused the accident admitted fault? is there proof of this if so?

I'd be pushing for a full repair at my local body shop if it were me.

That's what I did when I was rear ended. Was a battle with the insurance pricks but I didn't give in and won eventually.

The guy that hit me admitted fault though and I made him sign a statement there and then so there was no getting out of it for him.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Well thankfully the guy behind I know well, he said he stopped before hitting me but the guy behind him ploughed into him pushing him into me. All was agreed on site.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Have you checked for damage to the tailgate, NSR quarter, exhaust and boot floor? Is the bumper still attached OK?

Have you notified the police and your insurers? You should notify your insurers even if you don't claim from them.

I wouldn't fancy my car going into one of these big insurance bodyshops so I would get a quote or two from somewhere you'd be happy to repair it.

If you claim through your insurance you'll probably have to pay your excess, then claim it back from the at fault insurer's later (assuming they admit fault - should do with two witnesses and what sounds like a pretty straightforward scenario!). If you go down this route and have any complaints that your insurer doesn't resolve then you can take your case to the ombudsman.

If you claim from their insurance then you won't have to pay your excess but it might take them a while to admit liability and I don't think you can complain to the ombudsman if you have any trouble with it.

I wouldn't recommend an accident management company based on my experience when my Skoda was rear ended last year.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
All body work seems fine, I've removed the light to have a look behind it and under the carpet. the bumper isn't even cracked as it was a glancing blow.
I think a clip on the bumper is broken though so I'm not sure if it may be a new bumper job as the top corner isn't sitting properly

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Nah got lucky, just a corner shunt. Hasn't even cracked the bumper just massed a mess