ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear speaker suggestions

clio 1.6 16v
recently installed some focal components in the front with alpine mini amp to give a bit of a boost, i havnt got a sub and cant afford one atm but i want to replace the rear speakers as there crap and cant realy handle the power iv got running through them so its faded to the front. want some suggestions on what to replace the rears with? nothing to pricey but half decent sounding
cheers​

b/g 182, meg tourer
i would go for the most bassy rear speakers possible and have the ones with most trebble up front for the best quality of sound.

Mk2 172
dont waste your money on rear speakers. There not important in a hifi system and the factory location and mounting of them on a clio is absolutely appauling.
Spend more money on the front end, plenty of dynamat and making the mounting as solid as poss. Your ears point forward and rear speakers are really for rear passengers!

clio 1.6 16v
yea iv dynamatted around them and mounted them on nice chunky mdf baffles just wanted a bit of extra bass and more filling sound

Mk2 172
yea iv dynamatted around them and mounted them on nice chunky mdf baffles just wanted a bit of extra bass and more filling sound

youll honestly gain nothing by replacing speakers in the rear factory location.
All it will do is drag the sound backwards. No good.

clio 1.6 16v
okay buddy, any suggestions on how to get even more volume/sound/bass without a sub? im not put crappy 6x9s in it for the life of me. the chaviest mod possible and really does nothing for good sound

clio 172 luna speedl
u only get mid and top range out of comp's. its not all about bass away i have a w7 and it bearly runs to get a gd sound

Mk2 172
okay buddy, any suggestions on how to get even more volume/sound/bass without a sub? im not put crappy 6x9s in it for the life of me. the chaviest mod possible and really does nothing for good sound

Tbh the only real way to give u a bit more is to either amplify the front speakers or add a small powered subwoofer. This will give the whole system more output but if u really dont want a subwoofer then your kinda stuck.
I agree with the 6x9 theory u stated. Im not a fan at all but it does give u a bit more output again. However it drags the whole sound back and thats not good.
As I said tho, replacing the factory located speakers in the rear will gain u next to nothing :)

clio 1.6 16v
okay mate, iv been hearing alot recently about hertz sub being good? whats ur thoughts? any other subs ud recommend was looking at only a 10 inch dont wont masses of bass and im not the kinda person that goes around with my music blairing but when im in the mood i like to have deep thumping bass available lol

clio 1.6 16v
Tbh the only real way to give u a bit more is to either amplify the front speakers or add a small powered subwoofer. This will give the whole system more output but if u really dont want a subwoofer then your kinda stuck.
I agree with the 6x9 theory u stated. Im not a fan at all but it does give u a bit more output again. However it drags the whole sound back and thats not good.
As I said tho, replacing the factory located speakers in the rear will gain u next to nothing :)

i do want a sub but gota pay for a new windscreen n belts service done atm so cnt rle aford it, front are amplified with a ktp mini amp there rare litle things but puts it to 45 watts rms per channel.

Mk2 172
okay mate, iv been hearing alot recently about hertz sub being good? whats ur thoughts? any other subs ud recommend was looking at only a 10 inch dont wont masses of bass and im not the kinda person that goes around with my music blairing but when im in the mood i like to have deep thumping bass available lol

No thats fair enough. Bass isnt all about volume anyway thats just the impression thats given off my the kids that choose to drive around with the worst sounding fusion rubbish they can afford from halfords.
The truth of the matter is that its not hifi and its not music!! Its noise!!
The audio place i work for sells hertz and yes the product is ok.
They have a reasonable range of products that fit well in the range at certain price points.
Are u looking for a powered subwoofer or do u not mind a separate amp and sub? Either way, there is a fantastic powered woofer available at the mo from MTX which is an 8inch subwoofer. Sounds good, nice and controlled and is a bargain at £119 on offer. HOWEVER, we recieved a package deal from JL audio today which quite frankly is ridiculous. It includes a brand new JL audio 10WX subwoofer and the new J2 range amplifier. If i remember correctly its about £150 for both.
Im back at work on Sat if u want more details.

clio 1.6 16v
No thats fair enough. Bass isnt all about volume anyway thats just the impression thats given off my the kids that choose to drive around with the worst sounding fusion rubbish they can afford from halfords.
The truth of the matter is that its not hifi and its not music!! Its noise!!
The audio place i work for sells hertz and yes the product is ok.
They have a reasonable range of products that fit well in the range at certain price points.
Are u looking for a powered subwoofer or do u not mind a separate amp and sub? Either way, there is a fantastic powered woofer available at the mo from MTX which is an 8inch subwoofer. Sounds good, nice and controlled and is a bargain at £119 on offer. HOWEVER, we recieved a package deal from JL audio today which quite frankly is ridiculous. It includes a brand new JL audio 10WX subwoofer and the new J2 range amplifier. If i remember correctly its about £150 for both.
Im back at work on Sat if u want more details.

i would deff go separate to be frankly honest pre powered subs 90% of the time are crap the amps are usually underpowered for the sub although they say there matched for the sub. i was looking at mtx the other day and also jl audio, focal or rockford fosgate. what sort of power rating is the jl audio rms of corse as peak power means s**t tbh my first sub was a cbr vibe was okay but at the end of the day like u say thats halfords chavy crap all the kids like to wack 6X9s in and a sub in the boot which completely conflicts with each other and they just want loud subs nothing with qualitly and deep bass. yea let me know on what sort of packages you got mate

Mk2 172
i would deff go separate to be frankly honest pre powered subs 90% of the time are crap the amps are usually underpowered for the sub although they say there matched for the sub. i was looking at mtx the other day and also jl audio, focal or rockford fosgate. what sort of power rating is the jl audio rms of corse as peak power means s**t tbh my first sub was a cbr vibe was okay but at the end of the day like u say thats halfords chavy crap all the kids like to wack 6X9s in and a sub in the boot which completely conflicts with each other and they just want loud subs nothing with qualitly and deep bass. yea let me know on what sort of packages you got mate

First rule of thumb.... FORGET WATTAGE. Its an almost irrelevant figure as u have absolutely no idea how each and every manufacturer reached the figure they claim, whether it be rms, constant, peak, etc etc. It means nothing. UNLESS u know how the figure was reached!
If u get power figures from the likes of JL, Genesis etc then ur talking about real figures and not made up bench tested, test tone, 14,4v figures which is what u get from vibe, sony, fusion, u get my drift!
The figures they claim are at a correct voltage and are also tested not using a ridiculous frequency that is created by a test tone.
For instance, JL's figures are quoted using music, in the real environment that the amplifier is actually going to be used in (A CAR!)

You can almost look at real wattage figures based on the cost of the amp.
Look at it as about 70p-£1 for every watt u buy :) youll actually find its somewhere close!!!

Anyway now ive bored you... Aslong as your buying a quality manufacturer u cant really go wrong. Rockford stuff is absolutely nothing like it used to be so ignore that stuff. Focal stuff is good. We have done quite a few sets of their 3k 3 way component sets but Tbh the JL stuff at the moment is a bargain. I think the mono amp is about 200 watts into a 4ohm load at 12v but ill check.

Its a very good quality amp and subwoofer package and comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty which is good. Anything that JL makes is of extremely good quality. It always sounds good too. They dont make a bad product at all! If u like the look of the hertz stuff i can look into that for u but it wont be as good a deal as the JL stuff and wont sound as good at that price point.

clio 1.6 16v
well cheers mate im into my audio and home audio as well as car and im always ears to learning new things, from what i was reading the other day most 'good' subs when rated on watts have a small area of rms to run between at for example a jl sub may have a rated rms of 150-200 rms and that is measured down to the sub running best between that wattage and down to how much thermal heat the voice coil can take without damage or running smoothly, is this correct? yea jl sounds like the way to go. out of interest whats your thoughts on split charging units/ extra batteries? i know of course big installs needs them but where roughly is the sort of bridge from being able to run a amp at a good source straight from standard battery to needing a separate battery? like for example if i had a 500 watt amp that would run fine off my battery but if i wanted a 700 watt amp you would need a split charging unit with separate battery, i was toying with the idea of when i get my sub replacing my standard battery with something more juicey to keep it all running smoothly whats ur thoughts? worth it?

Mk2 172
Second battery installation is really based on current draw tbh.
At this level its definately not needed. Obviously u can do it if u like but its really not worth it. It can be expensive to do it properly for minimal gains especially at the level we are talking about. We very very rarely use a two battery split charge system at my place of work. Jl amps are very efficient and have excellent power supplys in them unlike your cheap brand amplifiers.
Obviously if u are going to play it for long periods without the car running then u will run into trouble but otherwise.....
Dont worry about it :)

Black Clio GT
sorry to jum in your thread ross...
dan, seen as you know your stuff is there any way i can fit an aftermarket headunit into my mk3 clio and keep the caminat tom tom powered and working through the speakers and keep steering wheel controls??
or can i upgrade speakers with standard head unit or is this pointless??

Mk2 172
sorry to jum in your thread ross...
dan, seen as you know your stuff is there any way i can fit an aftermarket headunit into my mk3 clio and keep the caminat tom tom powered and working through the speakers and keep steering wheel controls??
or can i upgrade speakers with standard head unit or is this pointless??

If im honest ive never tried it and without trying it i couldnt tell u what the outcome would be.
The standard headunits in all renaults are dire tbh and changing it would make the single biggest difference. However I dont know what will happen to Tom Tom.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What would be a sensible upgrade for the fronts? Got an Alpine underseat sub job at the moment.