ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear suspension top bolt

clio 2 1.2 16v
hi folks. Wondering if you could help me with a small problem. My clio just bout ready for its mot tomorrow. Got my new coil overs fitted all round but one.of the bolts in the rear shock at top wont go any tighter without spinning. I have tried everything. Vice grips at top of bolt and spanner. Whats best way to.grap a hold of the shock from inside wheel In order to tighten it. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

twingo
shifting spanner on the top of the strut itself to hold the shaft with a swan neck spanner underneath it to turn the nut ; do not clamp onto the shaft of the 'strut where it retracts into the damper, you'll damage it majorly!

clio 2 1.2 16v
Yeah bud been tryin that with vice grips on top and swan neck spanner. Just not enough grip. Will prob fail mot like that

twingo
why don't you use a non nyloc nut? it's what i use on my rears, i know the pain you're going through mate hence why i said sod it and went with the non nyloc nut. loved how it just spun down the thread with ease. it'll be an M10 x 1.25 (or is it a 1.5?) i can't remember from the top of my head. either way it'll cost you 20 pence a nut lol, be sure that you don't compress the rubber top mount. nip it gently and you'll be good :)

+ forgot to add, using a non nyloc nut will have a tendancy to come loose over the space of 3-4 weeks so it may be worth your while to nip it up every now and then and keep an eye on it.

clio 2 1.2 16v
I would love to use a non nyloc nut. But I think id have as much problem removing this one. I have used wd40 to soak it and hopefully it will tighten more. Someone suggested using a rubber glove on one hand..hold the inner shock behind wheel.and tighten. Would this really work? Im short of time and need a quick fix

clio 2 1.2 16v
Ps does the mot technicians go as far to listen while driving to shock tapping? Its secure on but makes slight clicking wen going over bigger bumps

twingo
I would love to use a non nyloc nut. But I think id have as much problem removing this one. I have used wd40 to soak it and hopefully it will tighten more. Someone suggested using a rubber glove on one hand..hold the inner shock behind wheel.and tighten. Would this really work? Im short of time and need a quick fix

you could get a disposable rubber glove cut it up and wrap it around the shaft and then clamp mole grips onto it so it's clamped on safely and securely. as you turn it, the mole grips should be clamped tight enough and will come into contact with the body / arch and will hold the strut shaft solidly so that you can tighten from the top :)

bit of a makeshift way to do it, but it doesn't damage the shaft! getting close to cowboy territory here lol

twingo
Dont mean fo sound dumb but is a mole grips same as vice grips? And how strict r they about that on mot?

yeah same things, some say minge others say hole! :p

what do you mean with regards to the MOT? i'm completely lost, MOT involves no road test. you are only using the rubber glove and mole grips to stop the shaft from spinning and preventing damage from the mole grips whilst you tighten the top nut onto the damper ...... :S none of that process has anything to do with an mot? lol

clio 2 1.2 16v
I mean will the mot test station notice that the bolt isnt fully tightened. Its solid.in place only makes the odd minor tapping noise on travel. If they. Don't . check that then im laughing. Poring with rain so cant do much now lol

clio 3 extreem
Jack the car up so as the weight is pulling down on the shocker then try to tighten it up . This nut needs to be tight for safety reasons also its just bad workmanship leaving it loose