ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear washer switch sends water out the front

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Hello from a newbie and first question.
One of the faults with my Clio 182 is the switch which should send water out the rear washer actually sends water out the front windscreen washers.
The wiper works from the stalk fine.
And the windscreen washers work as they should.
Is this likely to be an issue with the stalk itself??

Have a look at this link...

The pump does both front and rear screens and the piston onside gets soggy so it won't move. You cut a bit off and it works as in the YT vid. I did it on my daughter's Clio and on my Citroen, not too hard

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
That simple eh. Spot on. Another YT video I found shows how to remove the motor to access the piston.

I'll give that a go later. Many thanks.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
I had a stab at this earlier and only cut one end of the rubber before reassembling everything.
Unfortunately it hasn’t made a difference. Ill take it all apart again tomorrow and cut the other end off too.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Well I had another go this afternoon. I was working on the assumption the left motor as you look at the car was the windscreen and rear window washer. And cut the other end off the plastic piston.
While at it I thought I’d have a look at what I assumed was the headlight washer motor. This was properly seized up and took some prising apart.
The rubber bung was swollen as expected and I cut both ends off that too.
From looking at the rubber pipes it appears the right motor was feeding the windscreen. All the other pipes went into the inner wing and it was raining so I put everything back together.
The result being the rear wash now works!
I’m deleting the headlight washers anyway so when the bumpers off I’ll crimp the pipes and disconnect the headlight washer motor.