ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel bearing axial play

They're not meant to have any axial play right?! I've had an unrelated issue (rear brake(s) sound like they're catching when warm), so I whipped the pads and disc off, cleaned up the caliper with a wire brush etc. noticed when taking one of my rear discs off, it made a bit of a suction sound, same again when you put the disc on.

Put my finger down the bearing and had a fiddle, found the inner race had about 2 or 3 mm of axial movement. I couldn't check my other side because I couldn't get the hub nut off. I did check some old discs I had and it moved maybe, 1 mm, but didn't make the same noise.

I also noticed with the pads off, this disc was a lot more difficult to spin, it would only do a quarter turn if you pinch and throw. The other side would do nearly a whole revolution.

This was only swapped about a month ago, and the little washer was on there too. With the larger flat face pointing outwards, contacting the disc.

Phase 2 172
Could it be that when the disks were changed the hub nut was not torqued properly. After a month of driving the bearing has gotten a bit knackered by not being held tightly and is now on it's way out