ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel bearing

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm trying to track down a noise I've been getting under very light braking at low speeds in my 182, I don't have a video of the noise for reference, but basically it's a rotational clunk which you can only hear when braking lightly at low speeds, it definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear.
I've taken the rear wheels off this afternoon to have a look expecting it to be a braking component at fault, but as you can see in the video attached there's quite a lot of play in what I assume is the wheel bearing (o/s/r). The other side is perfect and had a new bearing put in not long after I'd bought the car. The pads are all evenly worn and have plenty of meat left on them too for reference.

My question is; is this likely to be the cause of my noise under braking? If so, is the recommended fix 2x genuine rear discs with built in bearings, or as I've had the other side done and there's not even a lip on the discs, should I have my mechanic press a new bearing in for me like they've done on the other side?

Attachments

• 2021-09-18_18-08-38_000 (2021-09-18T18_42_13.450).mov
    13.8 MB

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Update; hub nut was already torqued to spec on both sides so I'm going to go for my original guess of wheel bearing. With the wheel on it's comical how much it moves when it's on a stand. Whatever the issue is it's beyond my amateur mechanical skills at the moment, I'll book it in with my mechanic this week.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Update; hub nut was already torqued to spec on both sides so I'm going to go for my original guess of wheel bearing. With the wheel on it's comical how much it moves when it's on a stand. Whatever the issue is it's beyond my amateur mechanical skills at the moment, I'll book it in with my mechanic this week.

New genuine rear discs are just over £100 for the pair. I'd just get them and refit, making sure you have the spacer on and the correct way round behind the disc.

New bearings are probably £30-40 a side, plus labour to get them pressed in.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
These are the spacers James mentioned, these been missing or fitted wrong way round , along with wrong hub nut torque are main causes of rear bearings failing in the discs mate

fit them Tapered side Towards car , flat side to bearing casing

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
These are the spacers James mentioned, these been missing or fitted wrong way round , along with wrong hub nut torque are main causes of rear bearings failing in the discs mate

fit them Tapered side Towards car , flat side to bearing casing

Trying to buy a couple but whenever I try and add 2 on the website my cart always says Qty 1, even if I update the cart to 2. Would rather not pay shipping twice. Am I doing something wrong or is the website broken?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Should work, or try adding 1 x single spacer to cart in the listing , twice . Or send me a PM and I’ll sort them mate , cheers