ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wiper wipes when ignition on

Hey everyone, 1st post after 18 months with my awesome Clio 182 and 1st problem I can't get my head around....

Sometimes, with increasing frequency, the rear wiper wipes once when I turn the ignition to the run position - at first I thought I was in reverse or had the wipers on, but no.... Wipers off, gear anything, ignition on, rear wiper wipes once... tonight it repeated this 10 times. Any ideas?

When it started doing it, it was dry for weeks and I hadn't used the wipers for a while!

When it happens, you can hear the relay on the UCH click once, then it wipes, then it clicks off.

If you can help that'd be reet!

Dan

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Mine does exactly the same. Start the car and the rear wiper stays on for 30 seconds. I havent fixed it yet but have pulled the fuse for it as it was annoying me.
So far I have tried:
replaced gearbox reverse sensor - this was as I noticed both my reverse lights were out and thought the wiper issue may be linked. This fixed the light issue but wiper still goes on.
Need to replace the wiper motor- pretty sure it must be this - Im thinking its an earthing problem. Got a motor replacement so will probably do this tomorrow if i get the time and update the thread.

Renault Clio 2003
Could be an UCH related problem. I also had random wiper movements when my UCH unit was failing. I grabbed the 40-wire connector, going into the UCH, and when pushing the connector by hand to a certain direction the front wipers would swipe across the windscreen continuously. But could as well be something wrong with the rear wiper motor, who knows, maybe water ingress. Just to let you know that the UCH (body electrics control unit) is the boss for the wiper motors. So, after you have replaced the rear wiper motor and the fault remains, turn your focus onto the UCH unit.

Check this thread regarding UCH faults:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/uc...dering-wipers-juddering-window-solved.716352/

Thanks all, it's not doing it now, I expect it to be a UCH related thing, I won't be replacing the wiper unit because something is telling it to do it, it's UCH-related I'm sure.

Mine does exactly the same. Start the car and the rear wiper stays on for 30 seconds. I havent fixed it yet but have pulled the fuse for it as it was annoying me.
So far I have tried:
replaced gearbox reverse sensor - this was as I noticed both my reverse lights were out and thought the wiper issue may be linked. This fixed the light issue but wiper still goes on.
Need to replace the wiper motor- pretty sure it must be this - Im thinking its an earthing problem. Got a motor replacement so will probably do this tomorrow if i get the time and update the thread.
If it stays on for exactly 30 seconds then it's different from mine, mine just does one wipe then parks normally.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The system is connected to the ignition switch (obviously - doh!) and it's probably a short. If you take the cowl off from the steering column there are four fat wires going to the ignition switch. On mine I think either the red wire or earth has a short which stops the rear wipe and reversing lights from coming on, a wiggle test makes it work again. I'd be checking those wires and the connections at the barrel.

Nah, not going mental and everything electrical works... it just wiped once when the ignition was turned on. It's gone back to not doing it anymore. Interesting 'problem'.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone found a tried and tested fix for this?

My rear wiper has also decided to wipe very many times after ignition on. It’s incredibly annoying.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone found a tried and tested fix for this?

My rear wiper has also decided to wipe very many times after ignition on. It’s incredibly annoying.

Usually things like this are earth related.

Either this or the UCH up in the passenger footwell has gone faulty.

Mine used to do it occasionally, but it wasn't just a few wipes, it stayed on constantly.

So i just removed the wiper in the end 😂

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll do a check of earths.

…otherwise I’ll just pull the fuse out. Who needs a rear wiper anyway ☺️