ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend a decent home cinema amplifier

Audi S3 225
Hey guys, got an LG 32" hdtv for my room and went out and bought a home cinema package, this one here Sony DAV-DZ230 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NVWCTS/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I thought at the time it was a good unit, until I looked at the back and saw the lack of rca ports. The upscaled dvds look wicked in 1080i and the speakers are pretty good too, but when I connected it to my TV and 360 it doesn’t do Dolby 5.1 so only the fronts work!!! Or the rears just play what the fronts play.

I’ve read that the only way to get surround with this unit is to buy an amp, now I haven’t got a clue about amps and wiring them up etc but I just need an amp that will connect to my tv and 360 and have enough wattage to power the speakers.

I really don’t want to spend much money cos im skint atm, but I dont want a crap one either. Been looking at ebay but I’m not sure about how many free ports im gonna need on the back. My tv has a spare hdmi port and that optical out if thats important?

Any ideas guys

Thx

LY 182 FF CUPPED
check richer sounds out.
stick with DENON, ONKYO, SONY, YAMAHA...you can pick up a real good "do it all" amp for under £250.

Tappd'd RS
I bought one of these recently; Sony DDW-890

It's amazing. 1,000w. Lovely.

He also sells a slightly lower spec DDW-790 - this one doesn't have any component input/outputs though.

There's a thread here about the first system - i got one for my dad and he's over the moon with it.

Shame it doesn't support audio over HDMI though - my only gripe.

Tappd'd RS
Hey guys, got an LG 32" hdtv for my room and went out and bought a home cinema package, this one here Sony DAV-DZ230 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NVWCTS/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I thought at the time it was a good unit, until I looked at the back and saw the lack of rca ports. The upscaled dvds look wicked in 1080i and the speakers are pretty good too, but when I connected it to my TV and 360 it doesn’t do Dolby 5.1 so only the fronts work!!! Or the rears just play what the fronts play.

I’ve read that the only way to get surround with this unit is to buy an amp, now I haven’t got a clue about amps and wiring them up etc but I just need an amp that will connect to my tv and 360 and have enough wattage to power the speakers.

I really don’t want to spend much money cos im skint atm, but I dont want a crap one either. Been looking at ebay but I’m not sure about how many free ports im gonna need on the back. My tv has a spare hdmi port and that optical out if thats important?

Any ideas guys

Thx

Surely it does work with Dolby 5.1. You'll probably have to run an optical cable directly from the 360 (or any device) to the amp. My bet is your TV doesn't support 5.1 pass through even if it does have an optical output (my Bravia is exactly the same).

You need to mess with the sound field settings (of which there tend to be
a few with the sony kits) to make sure it's outputing to all channels.

Cheers.

Audi S3 225

Any ideas guys

Thx

Surely it does work with Dolby 5.1. You'll probably have to run an optical cable directly from the 360 (or any device) to the amp. My bet is your TV doesn't support 5.1 pass through even if it does have an optical output (my Bravia is exactly the same).

You need to mess with the sound field settings (of which there tend to be
a few with the sony kits) to make sure it's outputing to all channels.

Cheers.

thats what i thought m8 until i read this page here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539521&page=2 im not too bothered about 5.1 on the tv just want it for the 360 and maybe the wii once i get my component cable.

those amps on richer sounds look tempting gonna read up on some reviews for them.

thx for the help guys