ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a lens

E30 318iS x2
I'm thinking of saving up for a wide angle lens but unsure what to go for or whats about.

I have a Canon EOS 1000D, currently have an 18-55 Canon lens and a 75-300 Tamron lens.

I have had a look at 10-22mm ones but then keep seeing fixed lenses and not sure which I'm better off getting, I definitely don't want a fish eye. I can't afford a Canon one thats a cert but just wondering if there is a good alternative (From likes likes of Tamron or Sigma?). Photography is a hobby not a profession hence why I don't want to blow the bank on one.

Would £250 - £300 tops be a reasonable budget?

Canon prime lens would be my suggestion before wide angle.... everyone needs a prime!!!

Two good choices....

EF 50mm f1.8 II (£80)
EF 35mm f2.0 (£220)

But if its wide angle you want... you could get a 2nd hand Tamron or Sigma for the top end of that budget.

Scrap that Sigma idea... the 10-20 is still way over budget even 2nd hand!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sigma 10-20mm can be had for around £325 I believe (the f/4-5.6 version), which is what most people will recommend. You can pick up a second hand Canon 10-22mm for a bit more than that. There's also slightly longer lenses, which are usually 17-50mm or something like that, but you won't see much of a change over the kit lens and they are outside of your budget.

Prime lenses can be had, but if you want a wide prime they tend to be quite expensive and still won't be as wide as your kit lens.