ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recommend me a power cap.

Hi

just installed new sound system in my car which i brought from whiley off here.
D2400 directed amp and 2 Kicker L7 12''.

Iv noticed my lights dim when i use the electric windows, so i would benefit from a power cap. Iv heard you use 1000watts to 1 Farad? I'm not sure which cap to buy or how many farads i require or even how to install one so any help is welcome, iv noticed on carauidiosecrurity.com with most caps they say all fitting hardware included, so i'm guessing thats the wiring kit so i don't need to buy seperate wires or do i? (also would be nice if i could find one with a blue glow to match the amp. :D)

cheers Will.

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
my headlights/interior lights dim all the time when my bass is on and when i use my elec windows, im going to need a power cap aswell

vaux cavalier
And here we go again!!!!!!

The subject of 'Power caps' is a complicated one....

The debate on the benefits of a 'Power cap' is also a complicated one....

Hold fire on buying one until you fully understand exactly what one does & exactly what one requires to do it....

upgrade the earth cable to battery,alternator,then a stronger battery then a stronger alternator before them!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
power caps are over marketed junk, people tell the kids they need one, kids tell each other, and before u know it they all want one.

I believe they only minimize the effects cased by the accually power wire not keeping up with the sudden demands of the amp?? perhaps lol

but tbh, theres a long list of power upgrades id do before even thinking of gettin a power cap,

battery,
better wiring,
alternator,
TB3 wiring upgrade,

and if you still think you need a power cap, somethings not rite in your car lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
cba to do all that, i'm just gonna live with the dimming lights.:rasp:

well if your putting alot of power through your car, be prepared for fork out a coupla hundred when you knacker your alternator.

just save till then, and buy i BIIIG one when it goes,
my advice tbh,

have you ungraded the battery yet??
what wiring are you using??

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol get ride of that for a start
look at 0awg, and a new battery,
power cap will do nothing for you.

get anything else from that make that you own in the bin too, including boxes and packing lol

As said above, you're best off upgrading 'the big 3', then battery.... that'll get rid of your dimming lights.

A power cap will be of no use to you.

G

^^ was thinking about that or just buying a better battery than the stock one, will have to have a think and wait until i get paid again in a week ish.

Mk2 172
And here we go again!!!!!!

The subject of 'Power caps' is a complicated one....

The debate on the benefits of a 'Power cap' is also a complicated one....

Hold fire on buying one until you fully understand exactly what one does & exactly what one requires to do it....

Hes completely correct you know. Very complicated subject are power caps. Get a decent amp and you wont need one. Dimming lights? Buy an aftermarket xenon kit. Far better idea :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
^^ was thinking about that or just buying a better battery than the stock one, will have to have a think and wait until i get paid again in a week ish.

i think its your wiring thats holding you back atm,

'a chain is only as strong as its weakest link'

so true with audio, explains why you need to upgrade you earth when you add a bigger wiring kit.

by the looks for thing, i think you wiring kit is the weakest link in your chain, then battery.

i think its your wiring thats holding you back atm,

'a chain is only as strong as its weakest link'

so true with audio, explains why you need to upgrade you earth when you add a bigger wiring kit.

by the looks for thing, i think you wiring kit is the weakest link in your chain, then battery.

what wiring kit would you suggest?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
0awg, highest you can get,

that way you never have to worry about your wiring kit again,

until you start getting MENTAL power lol,

i have an audioleads 0awg kit,
came with fused, and earth dist blocks with 4awg to run to each amp,

brilliant wiring kit, and was only £50, found it on ebay,

just make sure its 0/1awg (guage)

clio 182
get another battery instead of a power cap waste of money they only hold the charge so your battery doesnt drain i think...

"Navy" N17 TWO
All my wiring is Streetwires 0awg too - good kit and installed by pro's :)
Have a deep-cycle Exide battery for the install with a split charge from the alternator.

Only problem I ever had was the car battery dying in the winter - French electrics FTL!

DSCF0428.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

^ That was all in my dci80 Clio, it hasn't been put into the 172 - yet. I miss it lol

this should be your first plan :) along with upgrading the big 3.

tigger - nice install there :) - AA are very good, i've judged a fair few installs of theirs a few years ago whilst across in NI.

G