ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me some HID's?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Hey,

I've got a Clio Mk3 with Projector headlights fitted, and was hoping someone could recommend me some HID's that are bright and reliable :)

Got a couple of other questions too, how long do HID's last? Also how do you go about cutting the rubber cover to get the cables for the HID bulbs in and out the headlight unit? Also do you guys fit a set of HID's in the dipped beam, then some in the foglights, and some in full beam?

Clio 182
My understanding is that hids should last at least 5-10yr (factory kit), could be wrong

Best bet is to remove head lamp and fit the bulbs as will be easier to cut the covers neatly, and will be easier to position bulbs- you do realise you existing bulb holders prob won't take a hid bulb right? So some creativity will be needed (from what I've seen previously)

Hids only in dipped beam projectors, main beam would dazzle other drivers as it will be reflector rather than projector, and hids are not really designed to be 'flashed' or turned on/off quickly. Halogen bulbs in fogs- or higher risk of melting them using hid.

Do 197's not have xenons? If so if say you would be better getting a set of these

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
skinz yeah 197 do have xenons but it's alot of work fitting them because of wiring etc and I think they need the washers and the self levelling, plus they're loads of money whereas HIDS are nowhere near as expensive.

Are dipped bean HIDS 35 or 50 watts?
Clio Mk3 Projectors are H1 fitting for dipped beam is that correct?

Going to go for 6000k I think as this pure white but with the tiniest bit of blue, which matches my sidelights.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Be a sec, just writing you a big PM lol.

main beam would dazzle other drivers as it will be reflector rather than projector

Main beam dazzles other drivers anyway? Not that you can use HIDs because of the other reasons you mentioned, but nice powerful halogen helps you see further, better.

Last edited:
  1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Be a sec, just writing you a big PM lol.

Main beam dazzles other drivers anyway? Not that you can use HIDs because of the other reasons you mentioned, but nice powerful halogen helps you see further, better.

McGherkin = HID professional and bulb professional! Nice guy to chat to too :) Thanks for your help!