ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rediculously tappy, ticky, knocky engine. Don't think dephaser

Cro

Meg'd r27
Mine had just become a horrendous sounding mess recently, maybe I havn't noticed the noise gradually over time but im starting to hear the difference from outside the car.

Obviously I know the usual dephaser pulley answer, i've heard and change enough of them but this just sounds a bit more than that, using a screwdriver to my ear to pinpoint a bit more it sounds much more central than to one side like the dephaser.

The pulley is due to be changed soon with cams but I don't want to end up it being something else I could sort while im in there.

The noise also goes away with some revs / load and is a lot worse on idle which would be commonly the opposite of a dephaser pulley going i'd thought ?!?

Any ideas?

Is it possible to clean the lifters? and or followers/tappets whatever the bits on top of them are?

The fact its leaking a bit of oil, which I presume is through the rocker cover probably shouldn't be an associate symptom but just incase it jogs peoples thoughts.

Seems to be a lot better when cold, but when up to temp its much noisier

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yeah tight as a ducks arse dude, first thing I checked because of something I found before.

I don't want to change the dephaser and still have it rattling, I remember bens woes when that happened to him. And if I can clean or replace something while the rocker is off i'd rather get it done at the same time

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Ben? Ben172? I think he went to NWP & they thought it was tappets at first and it turned out to BE the dephaser lol It won't be lifters. get a vid up

02 Clio 172
I have an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket too, and also sounding rough / tappety both cold/hot. Having dephaser changed this week so hopefully this fixes it. Please update if you have any breakthroughs!