ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reinstall windows...

182 Cup
Isn't a good old format just fantastic? Had some issues recently with stubborn mlware so in the end even after I got rid of the fecker, installed a 500gb hdd I had lying around and started from scratch. It's like having a new pc!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Incoming n00b question.....

I'm pretty computer savvi but just some things i've never done before

I have a new hard drive currently sitting next to me, and a pc which has a hard drive with a "bad bitt" so it takes around 40 minutes to start up and then just clicking "start" takes about 4 - 5 minutes... so if i were to plugg in this new hard drive what would i then have to do? Re-install windows on the new HD and then VERY slowly move the stuff i want onto the new hard drive.

P.s sorry to thread jak it just seemed like a happy thread, so i thought maybe you'd be happy to advise me :)

Lupo GTI
Incoming n00b question.....

I'm pretty computer savvi but just some things i've never done before

I have a new hard drive currently sitting next to me, and a pc which has a hard drive with a "bad bitt" so it takes around 40 minutes to start up and then just clicking "start" takes about 4 - 5 minutes... so if i were to plugg in this new hard drive what would i then have to do? Re-install windows on the new HD and then VERY slowly move the stuff i want onto the new hard drive.

P.s sorry to thread jak it just seemed like a happy thread, so i thought maybe you'd be happy to advise me :)

I'd recommend removing the existing hard drive as it has "bad bits" and installing the new one, then doing a fresh install of Windows on to the new hard drive.

If you can, back up the stuff you need on a DVD / memory stick / external hard drive.

Megane Mk4
Love formatting and re-install.. I do it on a regular 6 month period..

Far easier than de-fragmenting and/or un-installing unused programs/software. Means you get rid of the s***e you don't use permanently.

182 Cup
Definitely best to backup the stuff you want to keep on an external hdd as and when you get it, then when you like you can just wipe the lot without too much arsing about.