ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

reliability

ph1 clio 172
hi i have been offered a 2001 172 , but have been told that i will spend most my time fixing it , are they that bad or is it balls cheers j

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
my 172 was hurrendous
my 182 has had pretty much nothing go wrong in 6 years, and 48k

clio sport 172
I've had a 172 for 8years now and had no problems with it! One injector died a few weeks ago but other than that (£35 fix) it's been the best car I've owned!

Anything that ends in "stat" is generally made from cheese and will need replacing after this long. Other than that mines been pretty reliable considering its 8 years old and French.

ph1 clio 172
thats what i thought , most of my mates have scoobs/evos which are fairly reliable (but i had to have engine rebuilt in the evo this year :( ) so was just worried , the clio in question has full service history cheers j

Astra coupe t, nova
I've been surprised that with the abuse my RENAULT 172 has been reliable. I know the lesser models (yeah thats right Lesser lol) have problems.

21 Turbo
I bought mine on the strength of seeing my mates get nothing but abuse round Croft etc for the past 5 or so years......I had an M3 before and did nothing but throw money at it, most unreliable car Ive ever had. Even more unreliable than any of the 11 21 Turbo's Ive had lol

renault 172
ive had a subaru just got rid no problems with it maintained regulary bought a 172 and im happy as muck with any car regular oil changes etc and dont drive it like you stole it lol

Black Gold Trophy
Very reliable.
Owned my 182 for 3.5 years, travelled 30k miles approx, and never had it break down, never refused to start.
It has been driven enthusiastically regularly too and taken to the nurburgring.
Service it and take general care of it and it should be great.

albi 197
I agree with all the posts above. I had my 172 for 18 months and drove roughly 27,000 miles in it and never had anything go wrong until I let it run out of oil, which was my own fault and not the cars. Equally my 197 i've now owned for nigh on 18 months and done 16,000 miles has been great. If you change the oil every 6,000 miles and warm the engine up before giving it abuse you should be fine.

same as any other car things wear and things break.

Unless they're Renault/FIAT items, in which case they will wear and break sooner due to being poor quality.

I wouldn't touch another Renault, unless it had a comprehensive warranty. And even then, judging by the way Renault handled my three engine wiring looms on my 1.2 during the first 9 months of my ownership, I would still have to think long and hard about whether I really wanted hassle when (not if) something goes.

Renault UK, however, are meant to be very good at sorting things.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Unless they're Renault/FIAT items, in which case they will wear and break sooner due to being poor quality.

I wouldn't touch another Renault, unless it had a comprehensive warranty. And even then, judging by the way Renault handled my three engine wiring looms on my 1.2 during the first 9 months of my ownership, I would still have to think long and hard about whether I really wanted hassle when (not if) something goes.

Renault UK, however, are meant to be very good at sorting things.

From what I have seen the RS models are built better than the 1.2s ( other not RS versions)

I've no problems with my 172 other than wear and tear. Now on 131k.

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Owned my 172 for 2 years this June. Done roughly 15k miles and the car had done 70000 when I bought it.

Had the following done..

Gearbox recon/new clutch £900 (notchy 3rd gear, synchros!!!)
Brakes all round £230 ish (fitted myself though)
4 new tyres @ £90 each
K-tec exhaust £300(old one fell off lol)
Oil change £40ish (due another now)

And this year cambelt will need doing at around £400.

Reliability will greatly depend on the mileage of the car IMO. I should have shopped around a little more but the gearbox wasn't an expense I needed! Just be vigorous on test drive I would say.

As many are saying, get one new or nearly new and it seems to be worry free motoring :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Had the following done..

Gearbox recon/new clutch £900 (notchy 3rd gear, synchros!!!)
Brakes all round £230 ish (fitted myself though)
4 new tyres @ £90 each

K-tec exhaust £300(old one fell off lol)
Oil change £40ish (due another now)

And this year cambelt will need doing at around £400.

What have these go to do with reliabilty?

2002 clio 172
i`ve had 5 impreza`s and was worried about the engines giving up after the 2nd one had to have a rebuild at a cost of 3.5k :mad:

not worried so much with the 172 thank god

pimp mobile Zafira
I've had my 182 for a year now and not had a problem. Unlike my RX8 what a nightmare that was.

Artic Blue 182 FF
Cant comment on the reliability yet, but I do have to agree with some posts on here, if you maintain your car, and look after it, it will look after you.

Ive come from a Pulsar GTiR after 5 years ownership, subject to belief on these cars it was the most reliable car ive ever owned, but I did maintain it well. Same with my Renault 11 Turbos, Mechanically they were spot on, but the old Rens were Rott boxes and there wasnt much I could do about that especially living on the coast.

Ive got good vibes about the 182 though!!

BG 182
Had no problems with my 172, was the most reliable car I have ever owned to date, was well looked after before, both belts done early and FSH from renault, miss it

clio 182
will be more reliable than a bloddy impreza anyway lol

Ive had 3 uk imprezas and never had an issue, found them very reliable, the sti import versions however are a different story, dont know why people bother with these.
Mine all had good history and wernt messed with, when you start playing with the boost etc thats when you start having problems.

They have alot of common small annoying problems, which can usually be easily fixed. You seem to either get a good or a bad one.