ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Relocating Rear lights

LY 172
I've seen it on 1 car before although no idea if it's legal

So anyone know if it's legal to have your own lights mounted say inside the car up against the back window?

I know I would have to have reflective strips.

But I'm thinking of making some custom LED lights in my own shapes

Any advice welcome. :)

Da

Less
Anything is possible yeah but obviously the have to meet the 'rules of the road' as they say.
There are all kind of measures that have to be met for lights to be legal, mounting them inside the car wouldn't be legal I feel.

None :(
I would luv to see how that looks! I like your thinking with the smoooth.

hmm apart from the reflector, they probably have to meet "brightness standards" hmm i wonder where you would go to find out exactly what standards you would have to meet in building customer rear lights.

LY 172
I've spent the last hour Reading some documents apparently the lights need to be between 60 and 150 candels. I think.

Although I need to make sure brake lights are brighter than normal running lights.

But with lEDs should be easy.

I'm notsure on the shapes to usethough

Da

Less
Yeah but you also have maximum height, maximum distance from outer edge of the vehicle etc etc. If you can't meet those requirements then I wouldn't worry about brightness as it'll never be legal.

AK

M240i
Seems tbh like you're on to a loosing battle lol..

Spend your money else where or save for a faster/newer car..

LY 172
Won't be spending any money :). I already have thousands of LEDs and wire.

Only thing I may struggle on after Reading that document posted above is the angle of visability.

Clio
I think this is legal with the tails in the rear window:

Lupo28.jpg

It's a british Lupo, more pictures here