ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remap advise please!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Right, the fact its on and off, but when you are driving along you arent fitting and removing the exhaust, is a pretty solid hint that its an intermittent fault somewhere not a problem with the exhaust.

My 3 best guesses are:
Coilpack
Loose plug lead on the coil pack
Injector

To test for those:
Coilpack just swap for a working one (feel free to bring it to a meet and try the one off of mine as you are local)
Loose pluglead should literally feel loose if its that, just take them all off the coilpack and refit and make sure they all click on firmly
If you plug it into an RS tuner it will tell you if its an injector (you can borrow mine if you like)

(or take it to Dan and he will do all of the above for you FOC by the sounds of it!)

Then once you have sorted the misfire its worth looking at remapping it.

Personally so far I have only really seen examples of Ktec not getting it quite right with mapping so I wouldnt advise anyone to go there myself as im not really confident they quite know what they are doing (although maybe thats just the fact that people make more noise if their car doesnt work than if it does so my experience may not be representative but its my experience none the less and hence all I can comment based on), if you want a custom map I'd go to MWM or RS Tuning but sadly both are miles away from you.

As an easy option I'd recommend the RS Tuner 98 RON map as one that will be a good match for your spec and at 80 quid you cant really complain that its not totally perfect. Mosely and Binny on here are fairly near you and both have it, im sure they would take you out to show you what it goes like.

Racing Blue 182
Right, the fact its on and off, but when you are driving along you arent fitting and removing the exhaust, is a pretty solid hint that its an intermittent fault somewhere not a problem with the exhaust.

My 3 best guesses are:
Coilpack
Loose plug lead on the coil pack
Injector

To test for those:
Coilpack just swap for a working one (feel free to bring it to a meet and try the one off of mine as you are local)
Loose pluglead should literally feel loose if its that, just take them all off the coilpack and refit and make sure they all click on firmly
If you plug it into an RS tuner it will tell you if its an injector (you can borrow mine if you like)

(or take it to Dan and he will do all of the above for you FOC by the sounds of it!)

Then once you have sorted the misfire its worth looking at remapping it.

Personally so far I have only really seen examples of Ktec not getting it quite right with mapping so I wouldnt advise anyone to go there myself as im not really confident they quite know what they are doing (although maybe thats just the fact that people make more noise if their car doesnt work than if it does so my experience may not be representative but its my experience none the less and hence all I can comment based on), if you want a custom map I'd go to MWM or RS Tuning but sadly both are miles away from you.

As an easy option I'd recommend the RS Tuner 98 RON map as one that will be a good match for your spec and at 80 quid you cant really complain that its not totally perfect. Mosely and Binny on here are fairly near you and both have it, im sure they would take you out to show you what it goes like.
Thanks for this Chip! Very informative! I know exactly what to do next! The car is in at the minute getting the exhaust removed (mostly because the light was annoying me and I stupidly thought these faults were because of that! I have asked my mechanic friend to check the plugs and leads, which tbh I think will be OK! So if not, I will think about coilpack and injectors!

Dan, if I need them doing, can I pop up to you? I will have to try and find a cheap coilpack etc. from somewhere first!

Thanks a lot guys!

Racing Blue 182
I can indeed. I also have CLiP too, so will be able to read the actually fault codes and see what the ecu is doing/seeing.

Awesome thanks Dan! I will probably pop up on the weekend if you work weekends?

Its weird how the errors didn't come up on the diagnostics though! Surely it should have come up if it is misfiring?

I don't suppose you know of a cheap and close to home place to get a coilpack and maybe injectors do you? :p

Cup In bits
Oh, and this is an example of a car running lean from a diagnostic machine, provided by another member.

View attachment 92628

Doesn't mean much to me tbh, shows something's out of control slightly maybe i.e lambda and the car has reached its max fuelling parameters maybe. Doesn't tell you exactly your AFR. I wouldn't trust that as gospel anyway.

Others might disagree but that's just a throw away code afaic.

Awesome thanks Dan! I will probably pop up on the weekend if you work weekends?

Its weird how the errors didn't come up on the diagnostics though! Surely it should have come up if it is misfiring?

I don't suppose you know of a cheap and close to home place to get a coilpack and maybe injectors do you? :p

I do work weekends. This weekend Im off however.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It has now got even worse than it was now I have changed the exhaust back, and the light is still on! Please see the thread I have just created here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...needed-urgently-please!&p=9332901#post9332901

I need your help again guys! Its not good :( I need this car to get to work!

Well I dont think a single person was expecting swapping exhausts back to fix it TBH, seeing as it blatantly wasnt that. Have replied to your thread, dont panic it wont be anything major I am sure!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm pretty confident I could make my own .cal files to be used with an RS tuner.

#JustSaying

IIRC the early ones just right a raw .cal file onto the ECU, but the later ones check against the VIN, so presumably are encrypted in some manner?

So you'll probably only be able to do it for early ones?

would still need an unlock license of course though.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Doesn't mean much to me tbh, shows something's out of control slightly maybe i.e lambda and the car has reached its max fuelling parameters maybe. Doesn't tell you exactly your AFR. I wouldn't trust that as gospel anyway.

Others might disagree but that's just a throw away code afaic.

That was just an example of lean error codes exist, anyway... that was my diag machine.... & it was indeed the airflow meter at fault.... causing the Lamda to give a wrong signal. Car wasnt a renault... but its now running perfect again.

As for Luke's issue, somebody needs to go & see his car and diagnose the problem.

Cup In bits
That was just an example of lean error codes exist, anyway... that was my diag machine.... & it was indeed the airflow meter at fault.... causing the Lamda to give a wrong signal. Car wasnt a renault... but its now running perfect again.

As for Luke's issue, somebody needs to go & see his car and diagnose the problem.

Usually the case with code readers, you need to have proper diagnostics gear and check live data or else you end up at the wrong end of the car replacing the wrong part if you go by codes.

Luke's car just sounds like a simple missfire tbh, wd40 on all the plugs, leads and coil pack plugs, bets are that improves it ten fold.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Usually the case with code readers, you need to have proper diagnostics gear and check live data or else you end up at the wrong end of the car replacing the wrong part if you go by codes.

Luke's car just sounds like a simple missfire tbh, wd40 on all the plugs, leads and coil pack plugs, bets are that improves it ten fold.

mines got live data... plus hundreds of other functions :) i was just showing the codes logged :) standard code readers would be of no use to me.
The problem luke has...... he's not sure what a misfire feels....... or should sound like lol.....he needs assistance.

Racing Blue 182
mines got live data... plus hundreds of other functions :) i was just showing the codes logged :) standard code readers would be of no use to me.
The problem luke has...... he's not sure what a misfire feels....... or should sound like lol.....he needs assistance.

That is correct Mike, I don't have a clue haha! Thanks for all of your suggestions guys, I will try them out! I will try the WD40 on the plugs etc. first 'Swede Cup' as that's the cheapest option! Haha.

Racing Blue 182
Update, sorted the faulty injector and it runs ok. However the light is still on and its still showing a misfire in cylinder 4 and a catalytic convert fault code.

I have changed the injector, ht leads, plugs. I've been told if it was the coil pack there would be errors on two cylinders, what else could it be!!!??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wiring on that cylinder corroded on the injector plug maybe. Reset the codes with an rs tuner and re read then though. It's a great tool for that sort of thing.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
luke come over today. i read the codes and cleared them then they came back up after rechecking. didnt have any kit with me to check anything. did say to luke to check the injector plug and wiring and if he gets stuck to come over my unit and id have a better look.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH with Danlp6 more or less on his doorway I dont know why he doesnt just take it to him to sort, he's epic with these cars and a really helpful and friendly guy, sometimes you end up spending more messing around swaping bits about when you dont know what you are doing than it would just cost for someone who does to sort it, and the whole time you are driving around with misfires and faults your engine is at huge risk of developing a serious fault as a result, its not good for them not to be running right.

Racing Blue 182
TBH with Danlp6 more or less on his doorway I dont know why he doesnt just take it to him to sort, he's epic with these cars and a really helpful and friendly guy, sometimes you end up spending more messing around swaping bits about when you dont know what you are doing than it would just cost for someone who does to sort it, and the whole time you are driving around with misfires and faults your engine is at huge risk of developing a serious fault as a result, its not good for them not to be running right.

I haven't yet as he is about an hour or so away from me (even further from where I work) and I work all week and by the time I finish work and get over to him, he would have finished work, and I have been very busy on the weekends over the last few weeks. I willl try and pop up to him as soon as I can.

And the engine seems to be running fine now with that injector swapped, the light just won't go out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Head over saturday night when he is on playtime after the booked in work is sorted, thats when Les is popping over anyway.