ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remapping advice needed.

Clio 172
Hi,

Pretty new to the site so hi to everyone on here. :)

Just a quick question ? I can see there is a lot of discussion in regards to remapping cars and I'm interested in having my phase 2 172 done at this moment in time.

I can just see there seems to be a lot of problems when using the more recognised people such as K-*** after reading the forums. I'm not sure whether the RS Tuner would be a good option for me as I'm addmittedly no genius when it comes to whats under the bonet and it seems this is a DIY kind of option.

So my question is... who would Cliosport Members recommend when getting remapping done? Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Neal

Clio 172
Ah fair enough Kyle. Cheers for the advice . I was just looking for more responsiveness really not chasing peak power outputs as thats not what I'm about .

Im from Burnley Lanashire mate. Should be at the Chester met on Sunday .... looking forward to it!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Ah fair enough Kyle. Cheers for the advice . I was just looking for more responsiveness really not chasing peak power outputs as thats not what I'm about .

Im from Burnley Lanashire mate. Should be at the Chester met on Sunday .... looking forward to it!

No worries bud, for the money u would spend it aint worth it on a standard engine

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A remap would help, but as mentioned its a lot of money to spend on a standard engine, RS Tuner is the only option that makes economic sense really.

Clio 172
Is the RS TUNER hard to use? For example I'm not even sure whereabouts the port is on the car where I would be plugging this in? Lol I sound like a real novice but like I said I aint no genius when it comes to messing with my car.

Ph1 172 (titanium)

Not the person I know then, :p

Good luck with your car mate,
Rs tuner would make most sense. Plus can sell it on without a loss if you buy second hand,
Obd port is under ash tray

Clio 172
Cheers mate. So basically from what I have read its the RS Tuner plugs into the OBD port then the lap top into the RS Tuner. Then using the laptop download the relevent map/file through the RS Tuner and hey presto?

If thats the case then I think I should be ok with this! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers mate. So basically from what I have read its the RS Tuner plugs into the OBD port then the lap top into the RS Tuner. Then using the laptop download the relevent map/file through the RS Tuner and hey presto?

If thats the case then I think I should be ok with this! :)

Yes thats basically it, you have to follow some basic instructions to make a backup of your file etc, but its not hard at all.

Ive done a few of them now for people local to me as a favour to them as I have an Rs Tuner just for datalogging with so have let people pay for the map and license and then Ive done it for them, but im down in somerset so doubt that is much use to you.

depending on the exchange rate it normally costs them about 82 quid or so for the file and the license, and I always do it free, saves them having to buy an rs tuner and then sell it again etc. But obviously has to fit in with when im free etc so cant do too many, lol

Stick a battery charger on at the same time (I use a proper power supply that I use when reflashing cars with commercial equipment but obviously most people dont have those when they use an rs tuner) as if the battery goes flat mid write you could brick your ecu quite easily!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
or RS tuning in Leeds

If paying for Paul to map the car properly, people really want to be getting any mods they are going to do done first, as its quite a lot of money and you dont want to be paying for it several times, but yes he is a VERY good mapper (if you catch him in the right mood, lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip out of interest what sort of gains would you actually be able to achieve with these mods from a custom map?

These cars vary so much that without datalogging it to see how far out the fuelling is its really impossible to say, in some cases the RS Tuner (which is slightly rich at the top end normally) ends up fuelling spot on after some basic breathing mods, so other than a degree or two more ignition (which doesnt typically yield big gains on these engines) there isnt really anything left to custom map in terms of the full throttle power.

Im just after using the 98Ron map with my RStuner today. There is a noticeable difference in the way it drives now so I would definitely recommend it :race:
I do have a miltec cat back exhaust and ktec style air filter. Im not sure how much of a benefit they would be to the map as opposed to a standard setup 1*2

Ill prob end up selling my tuner on here like most people now if anyone is interested?

Clio 172
Well after looking at the options available to me I think I'm goin to go with a remap at Rs tuning in Leeds . While the Rs Tuner is very tempting I kinda want the added security of having someone do this for me who has a LOT more knowledge than myself. I appreciate its gonna cost me and I can't get my cash back in the way u can with an RS Tuner but the peace of mind is worth it in my opinion especially as I need the car for work everyday.

Thanks to every1 for their advice today like I said its much appreciated .

Neal

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't bother mate but it's your wallet and rs tuning are highly regarded.

I don't kow what the going rate is but I'd rather spend the money on suspension or brakes.