ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removal of plenum, change gasket ?

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I'm going to change my spark plugs this weekend, obviously that requires the removal of the upper plenum, question is do I have to change the gaskets between mating faces before refitting or can I get away with reusing the old ones ?

Ta :)

Golf V6 4Motion
It is recommended to fit new gaskets whenever you do this job as the standard ones have tendancy to leak after being disturbed.

If you want properly reuseable gaskets you should opt for the PTFE ones which I can supply you with - no problem just supplying the plenum on its own if that is all you need.
Will probably be a similar price to the OEM one too, but is reusebale, durable and will help to reduce intake temps.

PM me if you are interested.

Lionel Richie
or if some clever dick uses the wrong length bolts on the engine cover which lifts the plenum up off the lower inlet

Had my plenum off several times and never had any issues with re-using the gasket (famous last words). Just be careful with the bolts holding it down, not made of the strongest material and have a tendency to snap if you over-tighten them.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Had my plenum off several times and never had any issues with re-using the gasket (famous last words). Just be careful with the bolts holding it down, not made of the strongest material and have a tendency to snap if you over-tighten them.

Thanks for the heads up mate, will take care when tightening.