ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing a BIOS password from a laptop

Not a 320d
I know i have to reset the cmos, yes i know its usually a case of remove battery and move jumper and back again.

Ive had the thing open half way, i cant figure out how to open the laptop fully ill be honest its the first time ive done one. I can see the Motherboard's battery but i cant see a jumper for the cmos.

Is there one on a laptop ? or do i need to remove the battery (I tried this but i cant get at it fully) Or what lol ?!!?!?!

Not all boards have jumpers.

Jumpers are pretty old now (can't remember the last time i seen them). Just remove the battery.

Mazda Mx5 1.8 Mk2
Hey,

What laptop is it?, Make and model number?.

Lots of guides on ebay on how to dismantle it down to motherboard level, however bare in mind its a bit of a pain to dismantle a laptop!, then as everyone has suggested remove the battery (cmos) and in theory the password for the bios should reset itself to default which should be nothing

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Be thankful it's not a lenovo/ibm, we've got one at work and the password was set to something and noone knows what.

Can't do anything with it, no way to reset the password on it, even within windows as you need to know what the old one was for the util to work.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Be thankful it's not a lenovo/ibm, we've got one at work and the password was set to something and noone knows what.

Can't do anything with it, no way to reset the password on it, even within windows as you need to know what the old one was for the util to work.

Depending on the model you should be able to build a little CMOS reader that will read the BIOS pass. Have a tonne of older thinkpads with similair problems.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Depending on the model you should be able to build a little CMOS reader that will read the BIOS pass. Have a tonne of older thinkpads with similair problems.

Yup that's the thing, got to make something to do it, had a guide somewhere on how to do it...

Its a HP Compaq 6715B

Tell me about it being a b**ch to take apart!!!

On that model of laptop it is possible. You need to remove the keyboard and remove the BIOS battery. Then hold the power button for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, insert the AC power and the BIOS will be reset...Remove power and put back together....;)