ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Charcoal filtering system?

182 inside
Has anyone removed this fuel vapour system from their car etc? It seems to be thereonly to push air/fuel vapur inot the air inlet system after the throttle body which I think hampers performance and makes the air/fuel ratio unstable at low rpm/idle.

Anyone got any views comments on this system etc?

182 inside
Hi all, i've removed the charcoal filtering system and blocked the inlet piping off neatly. There is less bogging just off idle. Wonderful EU regulations etc. My advice to anyone wanting to save a couple of kg's of dead weight then remove it all.

As useless as the inlet valve fitted to feed pipe in n/s arch.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
yeah this is done on alot of olders cars too such ast the celica gt4 and so on...the way i see it, is its there for a reason so im leaving mine be as with it there are no problems thus far

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Will this increase emmisions?

Might be a worthy mod'.

Any info'/pic's on location, removal etc?

RSC 182 Cup
It's part of the emissions and your fuel tank actually vents into that canister when the engine isn't running. When you start the car the fuel vapour is sucked into the inlet manifold and burnt. It prevents excess hydrocarbons being released into the environment.....

That a basic explanation of it.

182 inside
thanks murcod. I've removed the whole system etc and car is running better just off idle. the tank vents to the filler cap aswell. that's why there are 2 pipes running into the tank.

I've spoken to gdi, k-tec and renault and it is fine to remove.

182 inside
I've been running the car for 3 days now. Emissions light came on. So you have to have the purge valve connected(tiny component) otherwise it gives a fault code443. I just cable tied it out the way

this is the pile of junk you'll be removing from the car. I'll do a 'how to' over weekend with pics.

;)

Last edited:
  182 inside
1) open bonnet and locate piping to inlet manifold from charcoal filter. Cut pipe and seal with a stop or cap.(make sure this is done well or the pressure from the inlet will suck the cap into the inlet manifold causing damage)

2)remove front o/s wheel arch liner and you will see the charcoal filter(black box with 2 pipes and 1 sensor connected.). Undo 3 x 13mm long bolts. Keep filter upright or you will spill some of the contents. Unplug filter, disconnect piping.That's the filter gone!

3)from top of the car, pull the wiring back up and remove the sensor from the top of charcoal filter by twisting/pulling. It is a tight fit but only held by a rubber o-ring. reconnect cable and mount somewhere hidden with cable ties or tape. make sure you do this well.(don't want it falling into the fan etc)WITHOUT SENSOR FAULT CODE 443 WILL OCCUR.

Last edited:
  182 inside
4) remove all the pipe including the 2 clips on the chasis. do not cut the pipe till you have made sure you are removing the correct pipe. there are 2 that run under the car fairly near the exhaust on the off side of the car.

Once you have uncliped the pipe from the car and have reached the pipe clip by the middle exhaust mount cut the pipe and seal using another stop/cap. i have used a bolt with large thread pattern which is very secure. allow enough pipe so you can clip it back in neatly as pictured.

5) after refitting the o/s wheel arch and making sure everything is secure. Start the car and all should be well. This modification still allows the fuel tank to breathe through filler cap vent.

Last edited:
  182 inside
The engine will run better and cleaner without this system. it's just a renault system to keep the EU happy.

182 inside
I run a decat and this has not triggered the emissions light. Your car will still pass MOT. this system is adding fuel vapour to the inlet system after the throttle body which is not very clever.

I will have my garage run an emissions test shortly to see any differences made.

this system is only there to put vapours into the engine to burn off.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
interesting......my solinoid is getting tappy, could be an excuse to cup the 182 ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
:eek: The cheek ;) Engine cover was in the shed after a day of owning, as was the tool kit minus towng eye and foam..... this could be next ;)

:eek: The cheek ;) Engine cover was in the shed after a day of owning, as was the tool kit minus towng eye and foam..... this could be next ;)

Need to do the wheels realy there not light plus don't help the brakes cool at all.

Shame realy s they look good.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Aye, they look mint against the black, especially now its lowered. I'm PC'ing it this week, and will probably remove half the paint, will this help remove weight? ;)

Aye, they look mint against the black, especially now its lowered. I'm PC'ing it this week, and will probably remove half the paint, will this help remove weight?

No idea the biggest problem is the design doens't let air cool the brakes.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
My car is tapping from the belts sumwere etc is this due to the charcole filter as its making a tapping noise.

could you explain this more as i think i have the same prob, thanks

I've been running the car for 3 days now. Emissions light came on. So you have to have the purge valve connected(tiny component) otherwise it gives a fault code443. I just cable tied it out the way

even though mines been removed - its ticking
gunna have to put a resistor on it or something and take the bloody solenoid off i guess but f**k knows how to acheive that LOL