ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Dash for 1st time 2moz, advice

Hello. As the title suggest Im taking my dash off for the first time tomorrow to fit my nice new shiney Alpine 9835, and am VERY scared!

Any words of advice from those that have done it before? Its a Mk2 Ph2. Also, how many screws is it again? Havent had a proper look yet.

IIRC:

There are 3 screws along the windsceen air vent, 3 screws buhind the silver trim above the glovebox, 2 screws behind the silver trim on the right of the steering wheel and 2 plastic screws - one on either end of the dashboard.

The dash top is also clipped in at several places - these are circled in red here: http://www.mcmillan-uk.com/clio/dash-big.jpghttp://www.mcmillan-uk.com/clio/dash-big.jpg

Before you start you also need to remove the plastic trim on the A-pillars - to do this pull the rubber door seal away from the trim and pull the trim away from the pillar starting at the top. The bottom of the trim clips into the dash as well.

I cant remember what size the screws are, but they are the star sype and I think you will find the correct screwdriver for them in the toolkit in the boot.

Yeah - the ones either side of the windscreen - they will also have the sensors for the alarm mounted on them, but these just unclip.

To remove the silver trim just pull it away from the dash. You could use a flat blade screwdriver if you want, but I managed to remove mine just by pulling them by hand.

172 Cup

I wouldnt go into this with the assumption that its extrememly easy. Granted for some people it was a peice of piss but I can assure you it was a hell of a job for me.

Im not going to believe me, I have the whole day resevrved for it! Its not so much the taking apart that worries me no, seeing how to do it, its getting the trim all back together when Ive done!

172 Cup

My advice to you would be to start the process as if you were going to remove the dash and once the front part is loose see how much room you have to get you arm behind.

I imagine you are doing this in order to fit a new HU with a large wiring loom on the back of it.

172 Cup

Actually looking at your forum name unless youre a fan of that dodgy kids programme I take it your from the Birmingham area? If so where abouts as I might be able to give you a few pointers....

Well Im not really that close, I come from near Ashby-de-la-Zouch, bout 25 mins North. The reason why Im doing it is I have the new display interface for the Alpine so I need to take the dash off so I can get at the back of the in dash display.

172 Cup

I know it, on the way to Donington!??!

I am about tomorrow and I have the star headed drivers you need. If you need any help let me know and Ill see what I can do.

Yeh thats it. Im bout 20mins from Donnington. Ok then, I think my Dad has the star screwdrivers but if I get really stuck I will no doublt be posting on here!! So keep your eyes peeled!

172 Cup

Sure. Let me know its been ages since I have had a chance to take my Cup anywhere in anger so if you get stuck post on here or PM me and I can zip up.

Just one more quickie then I must be off to bed, do you take the trim over the glove box off with a flat headed screwdriver and just unclip it? Cheers, Im off to dream about destroying my car :)

Quote: Originally posted by Brum Man on 20 October 2004

Just one more quickie then I must be off to bed, do you take the trim over the glove box off with a flat headed screwdriver and just unclip it? Cheers, Im off to dream about destroying my car :)
Just pull it off with your hands, its not held there that strongly and youre less likely to do damage than with a screwdriver.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

KEEP THE SCREWS SAFE!

(the poor sod that bought my 1.2 16v has no doubt discovered that the dash is held together with one screw)

The main pointer (after removing all the screws etc) is to pull the dash towards you first (not up) until it comes away from the windscreen and clicks out of place, then you should be able to just lift it up. If it appears to be stuck on the passenger side at all the try pushing down on the top/back of the dash directly in front of the passenger seat. It sometimes can get caugh on the airbag frame. Once youve done it once, its easy though! :) Good luck.

CAn anyone confirm for me that the Orange cable that goes into the blue plug in the back of the current stereo is the instrement light cluster cable? ie the one that when you turn the lights in it dims it. Cheers.

i agree with april....pull forward first cos if you lift it up youll get it stuck on the bloody airbag n it takes ages to get the damn thing off. trust me...

Well, it all went well. Was nice and easy to get off, only then did I discover that the plug I had didnt fit in the back of the display. One phone call to Alpine tech support later and they tell me that the new display interface cables dont need to go in to the back of the display, you just plug the yellow iso plug that goes into the back of the current radio into the harness. AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH. I didnt ned to take the dash off at all!!! didnt get it finished though, was 5pm by the time I found that out so by the time I get the dash back on it was dark.

Tomorrows job, put a direct feed from the battery through the chassis, find out which cable is the instrument panel lights and get the bloody radio in!

You live and learn...........