ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing paint from wheels.

Just about to start refurbishing some wheels I bought over the next few days. Problem I have is that there are lot's of layers of paint on them, so much so that they have a few paint runs and has actually filled in some of the detail of the wheels.

I have a sand blaster, but have heard horror stories of people sandblasting wheels and them being left very pitted and having to spend ages filling and sanding down to get them right.

Would it be better to chemical strip them with something like nitromors or just get the hand sander out?

^^ With above i was hoping to keep the tires on, because didn't want to pay to have them removed and refitted and the only place I know where they will stretch the tires back on for me is 45 miles away :(

Cheers

Will

Few pictures to show what I mean.

Can see where a line seems to have been filled with lots of paint.^^

And here too on the left.^^

Lol and the red paint flaking off to reveal silver paint underneath, (it's not bare metal)

Looks' like they have been painted a few time without being stripped. Can see orange, red, black and sliver. So I know there's about 4 layers of paint if not more ;)

Few curb marks on a couple, can sort that though, because i've filled in a few sets of wheels before with a filler called chemical metal, worked a treat and came out nice so i'll be doing that again.

Ah nice, will pick some of that up later. Never used that stuff before so just a couple of questions ;), do I just paint it on any old paint brush or will they melt too? When it's done it's work you just was it off with water or some scraping etc?

I presume if it's strong enough to dissolve paint and latex I'll keep it away from the tires and just use my hand sander to do the rims, and the bits close to the tires and valves.

Thanks for the help guys :D

mg zr
Ah nice, will pick some of that up later. Never used that stuff before so just a couple of questions ;), do I just paint it on any old paint brush or will they melt too? When it's done it's work you just was it off with water or some scraping etc?

I presume if it's strong enough to dissolve paint and latex I'll keep it away from the tires and just use my hand sander to do the rims, and the bits close to the tires and valves.

Thanks for the help guys :D

normal brush worked for me (might be wrong) bit of scapeage and winner
get heavy duty red rubber gloves
http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=17946
simalar to these

Last edited: