ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

removing top mounts (having big problems)

Clio Sport 172 Cup
Having major problems taking off the top mounts on the front suspension.
They are absolutly solid. ive tried wd40 i am using all the correct tools but am getting nowhere ive even tried that hard the allen key bit on the strut is starting to round.

Any tip or other ways to loosen these would be great. Dont want to have to take to a garage to have this done.

Cheers.

172, Tiguan
Yeah, you'll have to get them gunned loose. Just go to a garage or a tyre place and they'll usually do it for nothing if you ask nicely.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Impact gun every time if you can, even a battery one should do it if you havent got a compressor.

Depending on the condition of the top of the shockrod you might get lucky with a swan neck on the mount and then doing up the shockrod (doing it up is same effect as undoing the mount)
Or a big pair of grips on the outside of the mount to hold it still while you do the shock rod up if you havent got a swan neck, but as you have said the allen key is starting to round, its going to have to be impact gun now I would think as once they start going they quickly get much worse if you keep trying.

Impact gun will do the job nicely mate. I ended up snapping an allen key in mine before someone suggested using an impact gun.

Clio Sport 172 Cup
Cheers for the info lads. manages to get the driver side one off had to chizel my way through the top mount.