ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ren mechanics please help

This is kind of hard to explain but ill try my best.

My cars develeoped what can only be described as a knocking sound. To me this sounds like its coming from behind the pedals which would be inside the engine bay(but possibly not). This knocking sound is very noticeable and can be heard over music. i put 17" wheels on about 1 month ago and lowered it. My intial thought was it must be this. I checked all the bolts on all the wheels and there all tight. A friend then suggested taking the drivers side wheel off(where the sound seemed to be coming from) and checking the bolts which you undo when changing the suspesion(2 bolts which when you take out the drum falls sideways). We did this and found one wasnt as tight as it could of been. I tightened it but the knocking is still there.

The sound is present when accelarting. When i put the brakes on the sound goes. If i change gear this seemingly increases the sound of the knocking. If i cruise in neutral the sound is there.

Anyone got any suggestions? How much do reno charge to fix this if you can manage to diagnose the problem? How much am i talking about to get reno to look at this problem? Im due a service in 700 miles should i just take it in then ask them to look at it?

Any help much appreciated

Mk2 Golf GTI

not a ren mechanic but it could possibly be your offside wheel bearing. i was getting a knocking sound and it was my bearing, if not it could be the driveshafts. reno will skank you! is the car still under warranty?

its not under warranty. how do u check the bearing?

Im told a sure fire way of checking the driveshafts is by drivinh round in a circle which should cause major noise but this doesnt happen

fitting larger wheels wears bearings much faster.

to test, jack the car up and grab the wheel at top and bottom. try to move it - if you get much play then most likely its down to bearings, but you can eliminate it by getting someone to hold the brake pedal down. Also hold wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and feel for play there, either balljoints or bearings there but you will be able to see if its the balljoints.

GR7

Shiny red R32

A Renault mechanic wouldnt know any more than a proper mechanic - in fact he might not know as much!

Get yourself down to your good local garage and explain the situation to a real mechanic.

:D

my dad said the same girlracer and hes taking it to someone as we speak.

Only had the alloys on a month though