ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 12 year Anti-corrosion warranty

RenaultSport 182
Hi All

I own a 2012 Renault Clio 200. I have rust showing on the edge of the tailgate and paint bubbling and a spot of rust behind, see pictures. I also have a corrosion on the sub-frame.
I took the car to Renault Wolverhampton and spoke to the service manager but he felt the car had been resprayed at some point (and therefore not covered by the warranty) and cited the following as evidence:
  • Slight paint bubbling, see pics
  • Lighter patch of blue paint behind the tailgate (see pic with red arrows)
I've taken the car to an approved Renault independent body shop and they felt it could have actually left the factory with that light blue paint patch. Also, could the bubbling not have been caused by poor paint/material/application at the factory and actually be part of my claim rather than making it invalid?

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue and possibly similar interaction with the dealer and had any advice for me with regards to taking this forward. I'm tempted to get a paint measuring device to prove the paint around these areas of rust is the factory level?

Finally, am I correct in stating that the sub-frame is exempt from the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty? This car has a FSH history but not FRSH

Thanks in advance

John

Attachments

• Clio tailgate.jpg
    Clio tailgate.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Clio tailgate2.jpg
    Clio tailgate2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 139
  • tailgate 3.jpg
    tailgate 3.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 141

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
Have you read the terms of the warranty? Most manufacturers, although describing it as paintwork or corrosion warranty, actually only cover perforation. I’m not seeing a perforation there

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi All

I own a 2012 Renault Clio 200. I have rust showing on the edge of the tailgate and paint bubbling and a spot of rust behind, see pictures. I also have a corrosion on the sub-frame.
I took the car to Renault Wolverhampton and spoke to the service manager but he felt the car had been resprayed at some point (and therefore not covered by the warranty) and cited the following as evidence:
  • Slight paint bubbling, see pics
  • Lighter patch of blue paint behind the tailgate (see pic with red arrows)
I've taken the car to an approved Renault independent body shop and they felt it could have actually left the factory with that light blue paint patch. Also, could the bubbling not have been caused by poor paint/material/application at the factory and actually be part of my claim rather than making it invalid?

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue and possibly similar interaction with the dealer and had any advice for me with regards to taking this forward. I'm tempted to get a paint measuring device to prove the paint around these areas of rust is the factory level?

Finally, am I correct in stating that the sub-frame is exempt from the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty? This car has a FSH history but not FRSH

Thanks in advance

John
Pretty sure the light bit is just an area without clear? Or a primer.

Tbh you're being very picky on those areas for corrosion... like going to them over a stone chip.

Hit it with some deox gel and use a touch up pen. Wont even be noticeable after that

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
The first picture looks to me like the tailgate has caught and worn away the paint causing the rust. Can’t see how else that would be caused

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ve been in your position and can offer you the following advice…

You will probably be able to claim that under warranty - providing you have a full (and I mean full!) service history carried out at VAT registered garages and they have also stamped the bodywork inspection sections of your service book.

But…

That’s a nasty invasive repair and I personally wouldn’t want that repaired in my own car. You could end up with a much worse condition car afterwards.

If I was in your position, I’d clean the area up, treat it with rust treatment, and touch it in with a good quality (not water based) touch up pen.
The risk of that being repaired but then them making a pigs ear of the blend in to the roof or the wing is far too big imo.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
All this was typed in 2017 on the Clio 197/200 forums -

"I know I'm prob chasing fresh air and that I won't actually get anywhere with this and I have done some searching and found that its been a very common issue on alot of 197's

I know the car is now a 10 year old car but what are the chances of Renault UK doing anything about it now ?

I just dont fancy taking it to a bodyshop that might paint it BT Van yellow from 1980s."

I don't have FULL RENAULT history with the car. It does have around 5/6 stamps from Renault when new, 2 stamps from an unknown garage and then some more from Renault.

"2 weeks ago myself and another Clio 197 F1 owner turned up at a Renault dealership with bodyshop and we got a bodywork inspection.

On my car it was the tailgate as above and also the roof rails.
The bodyshop manager inspected my car and took paint depths and highlighted the area on the roof rail.

The bodyshop manager then inspected my friends car with the exact same issue on the tailgate, His roof rails where ok with no bubbling on them.

2 weeks on I made the phone call to be be told that the car is fully covered under the anti corrosion warranty.
The dealership are now checking parts availability as the tailgate is not getting repaired. Its getting fully replaced.

I would strongly advise anyone with corrosion on the roof rails or tailgate on there 197 to get it to a genuine Renault dealership with a Renault bodyshop and get it checked and sorted. Each case / car is individual and looked at on its own merits.

I believe the Clio 200 has the roof rail problems with paint bubbling but the 200 does not have the tailgate issue like the early 197's."

IMG_0606.jpg

I would also like to point out once again that I never showed any service history for the car and that Renault Uk are a pain but all you need to do is book an appointment at a Renault dealership with bodyshop and get them to inspect it and then send it off to Renault Uk warranty.

Once again each car is looked at on its own merits as as @Gus managed to get his roof rails covered under warranty but I did not and no matter how much I fought and sent evidence over it was a case that each car was looked at individually.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
My 200 has the boot issue so maybe it was just a time passing thing since the above was written.