ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 Williams Suspension settings (car is at the moment too tricky!)

5 GTE/V6/RS200
Hi,

at the moment I'm not happy with the handling of the car on the circuit. The back of the car is really tricky in fast corners...
I hope I get at this forum some help & suggestions.

At the corner ruskenhoek at 0:58 you can see that I almost lost the back of the car. At the corner mandeveen at 1:27 the back tried again to turn around....

Here my setup:

- Renault 5 with F7R engine. (weight of engine is a little bit in front of the front axle, so not ideal and sometimes the car creates oversteer).
- AVO GTZ600/601 with 2.25" i/d race/competition springs 300lbs (Front/rear setting on hardest)
- Williams track width.
- Gr.N rear torsion bar.
- ET15 Rims with semi slicks. (1.8 bar cold)
- Camber rear -2.5
- Camber front -2.1 (at the moment because it was raining during my race course)
- Ride height is front & rear equal.
- A lot of polyester car parts so car is really light in the back.

Thank you very much for any suggestions...

Peter

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
You need to start by loosening up the rear a little to reduce oversteer and make it less twitchy. Possibly soften up the rear dampers. My knowledge of torsion bar rear suspension is pretty much non existent so I'm not sure what else you can do there!

From experience of 172/182's, 2.5 degrees camber on the rear seems excessive, but again I can't speak from experience specifically for a Renault 5. If they roll a bit more through corners with the torsion bar setup then that's maybe OK.

Renault 5 gt turbo
I race a Renault 5 with the C1j, so fronts a lot lighter than yours, so 300lb is way to soft, could be double that ?

We run 400lb springs on the front and the rear dampers are very soft. Gaz golds and I think they are 4 clicks from full soft.
-1 degree on the rear and 2.5 neg camber on the front. we run around 4.5 degrees castor on the front
The cup cars used to run the front high due to the soft settings on the front, they ran around 200lb.

How much does the car weigh?

5 GTE/V6/RS200
Thanks for you're reply!

When I ordered the AVO coilovers I mentioned that I have more weight in the front. So they come up with 300lbs race springs.
So you suggest to go for 600lbs race springs?

Ok I will turn down the rear dampers to soft to give it a try...
Car weight is 870kg.

How about the ride height front and rear? At the moment it is pretty even...
How about the track width for front and rear? At the moment the track width of the fronts is slightly wider...

Thank you very much...

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Stiffen up the front spring rate, will make it far more stable at speed.

Rear ride height could benefit from being slightly higher as well

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, 500lb fronts and slack the back off a bit and it should sort some issues. 2.5 deg rear camber seems excessive too

Renault 5 gt turbo
Thanks for you're reply!

When I ordered the AVO coilovers I mentioned that I have more weight in the front. So they come up with 300lbs race springs.
So you suggest to go for 600lbs race springs?

Ok I will turn down the rear dampers to soft to give it a try...
Car weight is 870kg.

How about the ride height front and rear? At the moment it is pretty even...
How about the track width for front and rear? At the moment the track width of the fronts is slightly wider...

Thank you very much...

I'm only guessing double but 300lb is way to soft with that engine.
Your car weight is very similar to the race Clio's @Tony Hunter , be interesting what tony runs on the front.
We are 745KG and run 400lb.
We have the rear slightly higher 10mm, if I wanted the rear to be a bit looser I would raise it another 10mm to see how that was.
I like it just how it is :)
The cup cars ran the fronts a lot higher maybe 50mm as they run soft springs as per regs.
We run standard track with 12mm spacers front and 10mm rear.

How much wider is your front rear and what tyre pressures front rear ?

5 GTE/V6/RS200
ok thank you guys...
I will order the 500 or 600lbs springs to give it a try.
it's total weight is 930kg with driver & 15liter petrol:wink:

I have Williams track width front + ET15 wheels (standard is ET36 for Williams)
Rear axle from Clio 16V MK1
tyre pressure cold: 1.8bar
Tyres: Nankang AR-1 195/50/R15

The car is really potential If I get the right settings and confidence....
Here is the start of my first race last month:
(A clio 3 RS and Clio Williams are also participate)