ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 2007 1.2l 16V turns on and off

Renault Clio 2007
Hello everyone, today I was driving normally in the 4th gear and I noticed a car in front of me that is starting to brake, I "downshifted" (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not very familiar on cars) from the 4th gear to 3rd so I would slow down and then my car suddenly turned off by itself. Thankfully on my right there was a BUS stop so I turned right and stoped there being in fear that my steeringwheel would lock it self.

Now I thought ah well I will just turn my car on and continue like normal, I couldn't start my car. I give contact everything is ok, no errors or lamps that turned on, and then when Oil OK is on the little screen I turned my ignition key and the car turns on, but just drops the revolutions (correct me if I'm wrong) and turns off by itself.

Then I decided to apply some gas when the car just turns on and it worked, when you pump up the revs to maybe 2000-3000 the car stays turned on normally, and I didn't have any problems coming home, when I was driving it, the car behaved normall no problems at stops, red lights etc. not even any wierd sounds, long story short I got home and parked my car and I turned it off manually and decided to start it again just to be sure, the same problem appears again, the car turns on and just drops the revs and turns off.

My engine is 1.2 l petrol, the car is manual transmission, only moddifications I made was putting LED's instead of normal light bulbs, don't know if this is relevant but yeah.
What could this be ?

If you know this problem, how is it created (bad maintainence, lack of some fluids, or is it just a normal thing to happen, electrical problem etc.) ?

For milleage, the car has 49,710 miles. I told my dad about this problem he is saying that this could be a problem of a belt skipping, eitherway I need to do a big service next month.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
If the belt slipped then the problem would exist all the time.

Start by checking basics, things like air feed and spark

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'd suspect the battery and alternator. The only way it'd be a belt slipping would be if the belt to the alternator was loose.
But it's hard to diagnose over the internet. Have you got a multimeter you can use to check the electrical system?