ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Dealer Offer

Clio 172 Sport
I need some advice please.

I am supposed to pick up my first 172 Sport on Saturday from my local dealer. The car is an 02(02) Clio 172 Sport in silver with 40k miles, full service history, they are changing the cambelt (even tho they told me it doesn't need changing until 72k miles!) Its had one owner from new who has lowered it and added 17" OZ alloys. They are re-furbing the front alloys and spraying the small scraps and chips for me. They are also servicing it even tho the last one was only at 36k miles and are giving me a 12mth warranty along with 6mths tax and all the purchase/doc fees incl in the £6,400 price tag.

The prob is they say for me to get this deal I have to take their finance. Now I know I can get finance at a better rate but the business manager has offered me a rather unauthordox way around it as I used to know him many years ago. He has said if I go for their finance they will pay the first 3mths installments and then after the 3rd they will get their kick back from the finance company which means they have made a profit on the car and I can settle the finance with my own lower APR finance. The thing is I dont understand how when I settle in such a short period I wont have to pay any penalty fees which he has assured me I wont?!!

I have asked for this in writing and will only take the car if they will as I dont want to be stuck with a big settlement figure in 3 mths time!!

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!!

Cheers
swanee

ITB BG 182
No mate there fiance company will in couple of words butt f**k you.
The 3 months is a trial period which you can cancel within without having to pay an cancelation figure an then you will be given the choice of giving the car back or paying it all off in one big lump.
Rightfully they can not make u choose their fiance in anyway if you choose to buy the car then its upto you how u pay for it.
Either way they make money out of you from it.
Personally id say "heres ya money mate do you want it or not"

Clio 172 Sport
Thanks guys, I already have a loan with aliance and leicester and they said I could top it up at my old rate which is 5.9% APR. I just really want to know if firstly the deal is worth it and secondly if I do go down their finance route and then settle after 3mths with my aliance & leicester loan do any of you know where I stand with any type of redemption fee's?

Cheers

Clio 172 Sport
Would do mate but haven't seen any 172's that I like for that money on here unless I've missed some :(

Meg on pistonheads £6995
check the bottom line on any finance . i.e total at bottom

their finance will prob say about 8K!

even a 0% will have admin fees and options to buy fees

I got a 5K loan thro Zopa and pay back just 5400 over 3 years

loads about - MINT original cars too - if you say you're walking away, could swing it your way

ALSO TRAVEL - I flew 500 miles to Aberdeen (£40 quid on easyjet) and saved a grand on a car on what I'd pay in midlands for a car for the misses!

The car is an 02(02) Clio 172 Sport in silver with 40k miles, full service history, they are changing the cambelt (even tho they told me it doesn't need changing until 72k miles!)

Cambelt should be chnaged at 72k or 5 years whichevers easier so a 2002 car needs changing about now.

There is always, always, always, always another car and another deal.

You don't sound happy so you should either end up with a deal you are happy with or say thankyou and walk away.

If it was me, i'd get a loan elsewhere then go back to the seller (assuming you really want the car)
Don't get conned into taking out finance with them just because he wants you to.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
6.4k is faaaar to much mate.
Oh and the cambelt does need doing cos the car is over 5 years old so they arnt helping you really.
Id walk and get a car from a private sale. Youll save 1k

Dont take their finance!!

What a load of b******s that they'll only do that deal if you take their finance, they're doing there best to get the best deal for THEM not you!

The cambelt needs changing after 5 years like iain says so they can stick that up their a**e and its not really a bargain price either! I'd definitely tell them you'll sort your own finance out and you'll only have the car under those terms.

All garages want a quick turnover, not cars sitting on the forecourts, you're holding all the cards not them! watch them change their tune if you say you've seen another 172 you like for less money!

Clio 172 Sport
Thanks for the advice guys.

They have now agreed to change the cambelt, give it a full service, re-furb the alloys, spray the scraps and chips, give me 6mths tax and 12mth warranty. To be honest Im pretty happy considering I've seen loads on autotrader and pistonheads for £6200 and they have more miles and no cambelt change.

The service history is cool too, its been serviced 4 times and they are servicing it again for me before I pick it up.

I also had a word with the finance director and they are putting in writing that I will not pay any early settlement penalty's and i will actually be £150 better off as they are paying the first 3mths installments.

I know im paying over the odds but as its pretty much gonna be as good as new and they are right next door to im pretty happy and looking forward to picking her up... also getting my private plate transfered too!!! :) P7ORN

Thanks again for advice guys
swanee

Clio 172 Sport
Im borrowing £5,000 and the settlement will be £4,850 in 3mths time, I pay nothing until then as the dealer pays the purchase fee and the first 3mths installments, I then settle the finance with my aliance and leicester loan so im £150 better off and have nothing to pay for 3mths.

I also get this all in writing :)

Clio 172 Sport
Signed on the dotted line today and im picking her up on Monday after they do the cambelt!!!! Can't wait!!!!